Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kawasaki's electric motorcycle concept

Post Thanks / Like

Kawasaki's electric motorcycle concept

Kawasaki has developed an electric motorcycle as a technology demonstrator, but apparently has no plans to market the bike, or any electric motorcycle in the near future:
    https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...e-concept.html
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    nice to see the are at least working on future projects.
    But frankly i am not very impressed.

What i cannot understand is the complexity they build in and low range this big company is getting.
    Do away with the clutch and gearbox and put in more bats instead and you have a capable bike.
    Riding electric IS different, so use that for your advantage. It`s new times.

I mean even us diy`ers are able to achieve more or less the same. Without years of development.
    How hard can it be?- for an OEM i mean.
    Design a frame around the bat (well executed in this case here- and the single mayor drawback for conversions in term of packing space), ad your desired geometry (they know what to design from hundreds of models before and have all the knowledge about it) stuff in a motor at the right place (even we can figure that out sufficiently), controller, charger, bms and cable routing and you should be done.. having a truck load of technicians at hand that is.
    Securing stock for batteries and other specific items is no other than securing say supply of oil filters and valves in big numbers..
    The learning curve for them should be far less steep than for us.
    Heck- even student teams have already submitted race bikes to the tracks worldwide... cut max power to regain range, maybe a less powerful motor and controller to save some weight ad lights and indicators - presto there`s your bike with excellent handling...
    I am sure even a electric TT bike, ridden in a less lunatic way, could do 2,5 laps on the ile of man..

Hugh´s bike beats this easy in range, most of ours are close in term of weight.

I just checked alibaba: by now- just about 11 month later than i bought my bats i could swap my batteries for ones holding 120 ah instead of 90(both claims only no real world data to back up) , bringing my range to roughly 100 km at a weight of still aprox. 350 lbs. A purpose designed frame and components taking up multiple tasks ( damn i even had to build in a sub frame to hold components and regain stability) could save even more weight...
    The mentioned alibaba bats would still be crappy ones delivering probably only 65% of their charge - so for using quality grade-a cells - as kawa surely does - 140 k or more per charge should be possible even on my bike...

Well, at least they admit officially about researching e-mobility. Took them only 9 years from patent to product...

greets

flo
    Last edited by flo; 2 Weeks Ago at 0251.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that the major motorcycle manufacturers won't enter the EV consumer market until they see that it is finally profitable and right now that is not the case. The market just isn't large enough to make a positive economic outcome for a large company to pay them back for the research, development, manufacturing, distribution and (most important) training all of their dealers and their technicians how to work on EVs.

Clearly Kawasaki is just toying around with the development of an electric motorcycle, likely to get some positive press in Europe. Just look at the specs on that bike. 13.5 HP continuous? Give me a break. Kawasaki can do better than that! (If they wanted to.)
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough..
    It was said to not to be a profitable buisness when Tesla started the Model S.
    Even at relative small production output Energica and Zero survive quite nicely it seems eventhough at a premium...
    At 100 USD per kw battery at scaled up production atm (anounced by VW ) a 20 kw pack would only come to 2000 USD- making for competitive prices on mass market.
    Batteries get better and prices go down....
    Being the first sometimes might pay off?
    Just thinking...

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero seems to be doing OK, but I am pretty sure that their sales volume just doesn't interest the established major manufacturers. If electric motorcycle sales ever reach 30K or so, that might convince the big boys to enter the market. Unless they are forced in by EU regulations.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    my 2 cents is that its all about the state of batt tech. Until batteries can provide more power density at less cost, and fireproof, there will be no increased demand. But when it happens, and it will, we will see the big boys get excited.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.3
    WORX.VOR.v3.2