Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: BMW files a patent for an electric sportbike

Post Thanks / Like

BMW files a patent for an electric sportbike

Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    As good as it is to hear one of the big ones working on electric bikes...

Better not tell this guy about their radical new idea;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITDmTVZFuo

flo

3. Likes Richard230, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    As good as it is to hear one of the big ones working on electric bikes...

Better not tell this guy about their radical new idea;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITDmTVZFuo

flo
    Oh I like that!

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the beemer - looks like the "chassis" is intended to be the battery box... that's daring.
    Not sold on that rake angle for a roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    As for the beemer - looks like the "chassis" is intended to be the battery box... that's daring.
    Not sold on that rake angle for a roadster.
    As mentioned in the article, they are already using the battery box as the chassis in their C-Evolution electric scooter. So not all that daring for BMW. But I bet the cost of manufacturing that vehicle is not cheap.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

7. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    ... But I bet the cost of manufacturing that vehicle is not cheap.
    Hi
    may i ask what makes you think so?
    A 4 piece battery box vs. a 4 piece frame ( 2 inside welded to 2 outside frame parts). Everything else is same on any bike, attache headstock, forks,engine,swing incl. backwheel and dampers, seat and fairing...
    Ok integration of battery, charger and controller etc might be a little more fiddly but batteries usually need boxing up anyway.
    Just wondering where you see the difference.

Ok- it would be expensive for sure, simply because it would be made by bmw but other than that?

greets

flo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    A 4 piece battery box vs. a 4 piece frame ( 2 inside welded to 2 outside frame parts). Everything else is same on any bike, attache headstock, forks,engine,swing incl. backwheel and dampers, seat and fairing...
    Ok integration of battery, charger and controller etc might be a little more fiddly but batteries usually need boxing up anyway.
    Just wondering where you see the difference.

Ok- it would be expensive for sure, simply because it would be made by bmw but other than that?

greets

flo
    There is a video of the C-Evolution being manufactured in BMW's plant floating around. The aluminum casting that encloses the battery pack seems very complex to me and the construction of its power train looks heavily automated. It just looks a lot more costly to build for a low-volume vehicle than bolting stuff onto a steel tube frame, as BMW does with some of their other motorcycles like the new F850/750 models.

In the video I was very impressed watching the robots do their thing when building up the scooter's aluminum box chassis. Then it occurred to me: I wonder how you could get to those batteries inside their welded-up box if you ever wanted to replace on of the modules? But I agree that it seems to be a good structural design as long as you don't have to ever get into that battery cage.

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned in the article, they are already using the battery box as the chassis in their C-Evolution electric scooter. So not all that daring for BMW. But I bet the cost of manufacturing that vehicle is not cheap.
    Very different load profiles between scooter and streetbike performance.

I'd be concerned that the proposed 'chassis' design would be overly stiff - granted we're unlikely to be pushing them to superbike levels but a certain bit of flex is still desirable (The original SP2 proved that point quite well).

Hi
    Substantially less work involved in bending and welding extrusion or tube, than there is in finishing cast components.
    That being said, and now that I'm thinking about it, Nissan's EV drivetrain is entirely built into cast enclosures so if they were going to go that route anyway then, yeah maybe there's a reasonable 'why not?' in there alright.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a video of the C-Evolution being manufactured in BMW's plant floating around. .
    Oh
    ok- you were reffering to the scooter.
    Agree with you on that.

@ Spoonman
    to my knowledge the frame is not simply bend tube... since the advent of the so called Delta box frames these parts are welded half profiles (inside and out) ad left and right.., i guess the raw parts pressed? / cast aluminum.
    no tubing anymore today.
    so there should be no more work or tooling involved basically.

flo

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Spoonman
    to my knowledge the frame is not simply bend tube... since the advent of the so called Delta box frames these parts are welded half profiles (inside and out) ad left and right.., i guess the raw parts pressed? / cast aluminum.
    no tubing anymore today.
    so there should be no more work or tooling involved basically.
    Bent steel tube in the case of trellis, and welded pressed forms in the case of aluminium for the most part AFAIK.
    Machine finishing a cast would certainly be more work than welding up a frame. You can cast the main housings readily enough, but then there's all the tooling operations required to clean mating faces, cut gasket beds, drill and tap bolt holes... the list goes on.

Again, as I'm thinking about it now though - if those steps aren't being performed in the manufacturing of a traditional engine, then the capacity to is still there as it would likely still be less work than machine finishing engine block castings.