Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Ultracapacitors again

Post Thanks / Like

Ultracapacitors again

Here is an ultracapacitor manufacturing startup that is touting their product by showing a futuristic motorcycle that could use their ultracapacitors in its design. Unfortunately, it looks more like a computer construct and less like an actual vehicle. However, its design is kind of interesting and rather stylish. Definitely a French design. As usual in these sort of announcements, the company appears to be trolling for investors. The ultracapacitors are said to be able to store up to 100 watt-hours at a time in this concept motorcycle and would be recharged during regeneration braking.

The motorcycle shown in this article appears to be more of a hook for the reader. This is the real story from the company: "NAWA Technologies’ core market is the production of its next-generation ultracapacitor cells. With development completed, and 10 M€ funding already raised from historical and new investors, NAWA Technologies begins the mass production phase over the coming year. A first of its kind cell production line will be installed at its Aix-en-Provence facility and, at full production, NAWA expects to achieve a capacity of in excess of 300,000 cells per month."

Here is a link to the article: https://electricmotorcycles.news/naw...attery-system/
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Visit PaulWay's Youtube Channel
    The big problem I have with using capacitors is their maximum voltage. Putting capacitors in series increases their voltage but decreases their capacity inversely. So 'supercapacitors' that only go up to 2.7V are really useless for building traction packs from. You need to have a capacitor that has a maximum voltage of your pack voltage, and then put those in parallel to get the increase in power storage. I look forward to seeing what their maximum voltage is.

Have fun,

Paul

zero sr, vectrix vx-1, SF
    Post Thanks / Like
    "decreases their capacity?" how so?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by togo View Post
    "decreases their capacity?" how so?
    Series capacitance == (C1*C2)/(C1+C2)
    --> If C1=C2=1e-3F, when arrange in series the capacitance of the network becomes 5e-4F (half of the capacitance of either one, but with twice the rated voltage).

Capacitors in parallel simply add up, but the rated voltage remains unchanged.

6. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know enough about the technology to really say anything constructive, but the promises they’re making sure sound nice, and if they can deliver I hope to be an early adopter.