Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: ElMoto for Berlin

Post Thanks / Like

ElMoto for Berlin

Hi guys, I just wanted to present myself: I am considering building an ElMoto for daliy commuting in my hometown, Berlin.
    As I am an enthusiastic classic bike driver (I own a yamaha XS650), so I would like to use a classic lightweight scarmbler bike as donor, like a XT250.
    My budget is something between 3k-4k, including restauration of the donor bike. For speed I woul like to go around 90 Km/h.
    I have never to commute for more than 50Km, so that range would be sufficant for my needs, I hope I can save some cash using a smaller battery pack.
    This is my first post here, thank you for letting me in this forum and thanx for sharing your experiences, I learn a lot from it!
    I will continue reading and eventually asking some dumb questions, so please be patient with me
    ride on
    markS
    Edit:
    basically I am trying to figure out if I need to go for a mid-drive or a hub motor, 48 or 72 volts. any input or links to similar projects most welcome
    Last edited by markS; 3 Weeks Ago at 1331.

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mark,
    welcome here on el-moto.
    Your goals should be managable. Higher Voltage systems allow for lower current. But then high voltage controllers tend to be more expensive than the ones below 60 Volt.
    Above 60 Volts you need to build to VDE Standards (like orange cable,,,).
    I would suggest reading a few builds here to get a better grasp of what you really up to.
    I am in Germany too and have finished my conversion last year.. pm me your number or mail adr. if you in need of help.

good luck with your project.

Flo

4. Likes markS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi
    thanks to Flo I advanced quite well in finding the components for my build.
    I decided to go with a QS/8KW Hubmotor and KLS7275H, donor bike will be a Yamaha TT600.
    The battery question almost killed my project. Then I found a scrapper in NL who sells NissanLeaf Modules, GEN3 approx 180€ per module, GEN2 approx 90€
    The thing is, he will not sell 6 GEN3 Modules (thats what I need), he wants to sell the whole package.
    So I am looking for builders in EU who want to share a complete Package.
    Also, if anybody is interested in ordering from QS, I found a non costy way for shipping, almost zero ;-)
    We could team up and place orders. PM me if interested
    best
    mark