Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member looking in to converting a Honda Ruckus

Post Thanks / Like

New member looking in to converting a Honda Ruckus

Hello everyone,

I'm Miguel from Denver Colorado, and after lurking around I was not able to find any information on any members talking about my project. I'm looking at converting my '05 Honda Ruckus (NPS50) into an electric scooter... I know, I know it's not technically a motorcycle it's a small 49cc moped or whatever you want to call it. But I bought it brand new, installed a big bore back in '06 and stopped riding it in 2013 (my first son was born.) So I was thinking about resuscitating my scooter after being parked for almost 7 years, but I discovered that I will need at least to put $300 in a new carburetor plus other parts, I could also get a new engine ($1.5k) and make it a 150cc scooter which will be a lot more fun around the city but then I thought, that if I'm gonna go through all the trouble restoring the scooter, why not make it electric?

So my questions for the forum are:

Has anyone converted a scooter or moped? (honda, yamaha, etc)
    Do you have any recommendations on small motors comparable to a 150cc engine?

My requirements:

ruckus.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm afraid your budget is a good deal too low for anything to achieve that spec dude.
    You'd be doing pretty well just to get sufficient batteries for that range at that price, and that's before you even consider the motor, controller, charger, and all associated wiring and accessories.
    You might get lucky and find somebody selling off a project, or maybe evening just letting it go to a good home, but otherwise you're going to have to find more funds I'm afraid.

Aside from that though, it looks like a pretty cool project - I've always fancied those machines, don't see many of them over here though.
    Fitting a motor to that CVT should be a straightforward enough thing - might call for an adaptor plate, but I don't expect there'd be any major machining required beyond that.
    Something like this would likely work well - naturally you're going to have to try and find similar 2nd hand to keep costs down (check the for sale section here for starters), but that's the sort of machine you'll be after.
    You will want to confirm the rev range of the standard engine though, as the motor will have to be able to match or exceed that for the CVT to function correctly.
    After that you'll need a battery, something in the 4kWh capacity range would likely do the job for you - again, you'll just have to keep your eyes open for the best deals. They pop up on here every so often but endless-sphere usually have plenty of offerings in the for sale forum.
    Then comes a charger appropriate to your battery - a meanwell unit will likely work out the most cost effective, but again if you're keeping costs down you'll just have to keep your eyes open and see what comes available.
    After that then it's all contactors, fuses, throttles, wiring, and maybe a BMS of some sort (highly advisable but not strictly 'required') to suit your needs.

So, as you can see, there's a bit to it I'm afraid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spoonman,

Thanks for the information. I found out that my current engine sells for about $500 or more on eBay plus some other parts I could harvest from the scooter. That's helps me bring my budget to $1500 to $2000.

I also found a kit on Aliexpress that could potentially work if I decide to get rid of the CVT and go straight from motor to rear hub. This is the kit I'm thinking about testing out

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    I wouldn't usually recommend it, but since the Ruckus already has unsprung weight in the way of the engine on the swingarm, You might consider a hub motor for this project. you can get a 10 inch hub motor from QS motor, https://www.qsmotor.com/10-inch-scooter-motor you might come close to squeezing into a $2k budget.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by m1gu3l View Post
    Spoonman,

Thanks for the information. I found out that my current engine sells for about $500 or more on eBay plus some other parts I could harvest from the scooter. That's helps me bring my budget to $1500 to $2000.

I also found a kit on Aliexpress that could potentially work if I decide to get rid of the CVT and go straight from motor to rear hub. This is the kit I'm thinking about testing out
    That's an interesting looking kit there alright - unfortunately I know nothing about it so I'm not in a position to advice beyond saying that 3kW aught to perform like something with about 5HP, which seems like very little for that sort of application but then I don't know what the stock motor puts out either so..