Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: The dont kick me out post

Post Thanks / Like

The dont kick me out post

Hey Gang,

All of a sudden it has occurred to me how good an electric bike would be for communting, and just general fun! Very keen to experience the torque of an electric!

Ive been into bikes for ages having owned various on and off road bikes over the years. Im a fitter and turner and an electronic engineer, so should be able to make a go of a diy project if i can find the time and money.

I guess my initial motivation was to save money on petrol, but it has quickly turned to building something cool in my shed that i can enjoy for years and learn a bunch in the process.

Im beginning to scour the forums to get an idea of what this process will be like and what i could expect in terms of results/performance at the end of it. Im a realist and understand these kind of projects can take years and cost a lot of money. However the knowledge and experience you get from doing it is second to none.
    Is it worth giving it a go, or should i just buy a production ebike and enjoy riding it straight away?
    Cheers
    DS

Post Thanks / Like
    Very much a matter of budget and what you call 'fun'.

The best offering on the market right now in terms of replacing a commuter roadbike is the Zero SR (F or S) - so if you have the funds and don't want to wait, then that's the job done.
    Building your own to achieve the same functionality will likely cost about 60% as much discounting the sweat, tears and necessary blood sacrifices.

If you're happier with lesser performance then the world is your oyster and tailored solutions can be achieved for non-unreasonable money - but don't kid yourself, you'll have to be doing a helluvalotta mileage if you're going to justify the effort in terms of operating cost.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Its true about the amount of mileage needed to recoup any spent finances. However, there is another way to look at it...
    I only have to commute 2-3 miles one way to work. Yes I can ride a bicycle or even walk if I had to. If I drive an ICE vehicle,
    it wont even warm up to a good operating temperature, so not good for vehicle longevity or maintenance. An EV is perfect for such commutes as
    there is no need to warm up the vehicle to operating temperatures and really very minimal required routine maintenance. And not to mention that every time I
    twist the throttle I get ear to ear grin on my face. Worth every penny!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.3
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

4. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Just for the hell of it" is also an entirely appropriate reason.

6. Likes Stevo, ElMotoMike liked this post