Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Honda CB350F conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerwatts View Post
    I like the spec of Revolt motors but my problem is the outrunner design isn't practical.
    N00b question here, but why is an outrunner motor design impractical?

Post Thanks / Like
    I applaude your building an emotorcycle. I cringe at your destruction of one of the most collectable motorcycles in existance. RIP CB350F, Viva emotorcycle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjet View Post
    I applaude your building an emotorcycle. I cringe at your destruction of one of the most collectable motorcycles in existance. RIP CB350F, Viva emotorcycle.
    Funny you say that, as it relates to my above mentioned opposition to any actual permanent modification of the frame or anything else for that matter. The build is such that I could put it all back to stock if I wanted to. Entirely. Not that I ever expect to. But it is a constant lesson in elegance, and finding function in the original form and to design around this. That is a part of honoring-- rather than destroying-- its legacy and making it as relevant again today as it ever was.

Or put another way, it wasn't doing much just rusting out in the barn where I found it

If anyone is interested, I post short progress stories on IG at @blanconegroverde. Here's the bike when I brought it in earlier this year:
    unnamed-3.jpg
    Last edited by rfndzc; 31 March 2020 at 1616.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the battery cage w/ spare side panels fitted. Need to finish fabrication of controller housing (within the side panels) and then I can paint the cage and housing. Motor mount is at the machinist, should have that installed by next week, then it's mostly just assembly/electronics and I can run the machine.

unnamed-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rfndzc View Post
    The link to the ones I purchased now redirects to a slightly different model, same supplier, but you may have to just scour AliBaba for the one's that work best for you. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...261352043.html

The Revolt I was referencing is a small Israeli manufacturer, posted the link a couple responses up... not related to the India Revolt motorcycles.

Cheers
    Rob
    Thanks Rob.

Build is looking good. How are you mounting the drive sprocket or where are you sourcing?

Cheers
    Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tyler. I think maybe Thunderstruck turned me onto this outfit: https://www.rollerchain4less.com/50-...Iz6ogQBA%3D%3D

Kind of in awe. They have a very specific purpose and they fulfill it extremely well at an incredible price.

Rob

Edit: The one's Thunderstruck has linked were able to resolve my rear sprocket, which I decided not to change. This particular outfit I think I just came to thru google wander
    Last edited by rfndzc; 31 March 2020 at 1711.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah those look like kart sprockets then. That seems like a good approach, lots of choice.
    I noticed you said you were looking to use a very low gear ratio, what size sprockets will you be using?

Cheers
    Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerwatts View Post
    Ah those look like kart sprockets then. That seems like a good approach, lots of choice.
    I noticed you said you were looking to use a very low gear ratio, what size sprockets will you be using?

Cheers
    Tyler
    The stock gearing that came with the bike is 17/38. For the chinese motor manufacturers that operate at higher rpm I would have needed a lower ratio (smaller front sprocket and/or larger rear). Because I was able to find Revolt and they offer a custom kv, I basically set kv for a factory gearing, but for a top speed of about 55mph. Again, I am into low end torque and acceleration, not top speed.

26kv at 72v gives ~1600 loaded rpm (~1800 unloaded). My rear tire is now a 4.00 on an 18" rim, thats .33m radius, and ~55mph top speed at that rpm with a 16/38 ratio, and 45mph at a 13/38 ratio with a bit stronger accel. So to answer your question, I bought a 16 and I bought a 13.

Edit: If I said I opted for a 'lower' ratio it was thinking of an inverted ratio, rear/front, so ~2 vs ~4, because I was able to use a custom kv instead of a 'higher' ratio for more torque/less speed. I think it is more intuitive to consider front/rear, but the resulting number (.4 vs .3) is maybe less intuitive.
    Last edited by rfndzc; 01 April 2020 at 0541.

9. Likes tylerwatts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Views of the battery cage showing the original motor mounts in use with no modification to frame. Front bracket was simply flipped upside down to accomodate the 23s. Top two bolts were previously used for cable holders and will continue to serve this as well.
    IMG_1701.jpg IMG_1702.jpg IMG_1706.jpg
    Last edited by rfndzc; 01 April 2020 at 0931.

11. Likes tylerwatts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really like your use of the mounts for the battery cage. How do you plan to cover the terminals etc?

Have you planned for mounting the motor yet?

Cheers
    Tyler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast