Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KZ 550 Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

KZ 550 Conversion

Trying to convert my kz 550 and had some questions. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. This weekend I'm stripping the bike down so that only the wheels, and fork remain. Gonna make it bare.

I just bought 6 of these batteries (https://www.atbatt.com/amstron-ap12-...lose-out-item/). Going to wire them in series for 72V. Next, I was looking at motors. I found Motenergy ME1008 PMDC Electric Motor 72V. There was also a ME0709 motor as well. Does it matter which one I get? Seems the difference is in the kWh output. Am I on the right track?

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Welcome to the forum and the learning experience that you've started
    I used these batteries early on in my learning curve: https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Ba...771925&sr=8-33

You will discover that although they will work to get the bike moving and pretty well too, but not very far. You will be less than impressed. I know the limiting factor of the expense of good batteries, but that part of your build is really the most important part. However, to learn all the other aspects of building your conversion, they will get you there. Just keep your expectations low.
    Either motor will work well for you, and they can work up to 90 volts pretty safely, when you decide to upgrade your battery pack to some better Nissan Leaf modules, or Chevy volt batteries.

What controller are you thinking of using?
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. I asked the company for a refund and will be returning them. Do you have a site where I can buy good batteries? Willing to spend around 1200 ish on them. Price isnít a worry for me. I havenít yet decided on a controller. Was working on battery, then motor, then controller. I just need to find a good battery link

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up buying the Motenergy ME1008 motor for about 550 after shipping

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Be sure to add pics here! we all want to see your progress
    I don't have a good battery source. I lucked out finding one right here on this forum.
    Keep your eyes open for good deals, but the perfect battery doesn't exist yet,
    It makes it a design challenge not knowing what's next, as far as shape, size, weight, voltage, etc...
    my 2cents of advice to anyone starting a project like this is to enjoy learning every step
    of the way. . I'm still learning too, and you probably can teach me something new with your build
    We are all learning together!
    Last edited by Stevo; 30 May 2020 at 1031.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an after image of the bike after i took the motor and everything off. Had to break the chain otherwise i would have had to take the rear wheel off to get the sprocket off. Took me about 2 hours total. Do I unwire the headlights and turn signals and all that? I assume I keep the brakes the same and untouched. To anyone else, would still love any input on where/what batteries to get. I had looked on atbatt.com but not sure where to begin. I wouldn't mind getting 3.2V batteries and connecting them all in series but not sure where to go from there. Do I look for the highest possible Watt-hours for lithiums?

image1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I unwired pretty much everything today. Took the starter and ignition out and removed 99% of all the wires out of the bike. I left the brake cables of course. I was going to remove the lights as well but figured id leave them as is for now. Next Im gonna remove some of the visible rust off the frame. The batteries I ordered came in but I still want to return them for a better set of batteries like what was suggested. Motor should be in soon. I should be fine to start scoping out a controller, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    https://ibb.co/MR2W4yv

Wont let me attach the image directly but there is a pic of my bike right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ericreese20 View Post
    https://ibb.co/MR2W4yv

Wont let me attach the image directly but there is a pic of my bike right now
    You probably need to make a few more posts before the forum system is convinced that you are not a bot and will let you download photos from your computer files via the "Insert Image" icon.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found these: what do you think?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...261352043.html

I'd be getting 7360 Wh instead of the 2520 Wh from the lead cells I just got. I would be buying 23 of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast