Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What stinks and sizzles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, no pictures, so it never really happened.... I work in a totally different area and company now. Doing the LED power supply thing now. The previous job was with a battery manufacturer and charger company. Cameras were strickly verboten in the lab areas and I can sort of understand why. No company would want to be tied to some of the fires that happen in the development phase......
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldBruce View Post
    (Organic in this context means that they are carbon based compounds, not good for you to eat Ted.)
    awww, hell, back in the '70s we started the day with a little DiEthyl Carbonate on our toast. never could see what the big deal was... that Ethyl Acetate, though, man... THAT ****'ll kill ya.

>>twitch<<

>>twitch<<

(nice move sidestepping mention of blackouts and such resulting from said experiments btw )

Post Thanks / Like

Ethyl acetate risks

Hi,
    I'm building a cell voltage monitor, specifically for large lithium cells. I have started a yahoogroup....
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=314528416

I just wanted to point out that ethyl acetate is far from deadly. it is sometimes used in food as a flavour enhancer and in fragrances, as well as used in beauty salons as nail varnish remover.

What is important to note in terms of the explosion risk are the parameters known as 'Explosion levels'

The upper explosive level (UEL) for ethyl acetate is 9% by weight mixed with air and the lower level, LEL, is about 2% by weight.

Compare that to hydrogen which has an LEL of about 5% and a UEL of 75% and you can see that any precautions which you apply to the charging of lead acid cells, in terms of preventing a hydrogen buildup, also apply to lithium cells. You need take no more precautions other than bear in mind that where hydrogen rises, EA sinks, so vents in the bottom of any battery box and a fan will keep you safe.

Chris

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello fixitsan / Chris -- Glad you dropped by from the TS group. That place has been nutso lately though it seems to have settled down somewhat. You might ask Mike (the forum owner) and see if he'd be willing create a sub-forum for you. Alot easier to manage threads on a vBulletin type of system than Yahoo Groups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome.
    They say birds of a feather stick together. I'm also a trained chef, motorcyclist, EV fan....small world isn't it !

Post Thanks / Like
    A different kind of odor: Our LIFEPO4 packs gave off a fruity smell on a bench. A process of elimination determined that the BMS was the source of the smell. That BMS was removed and replaced. Batteries were charged again, and no more fruit odors.

Weeks later, we got an acrid smell from Thundersky/Winston LIFEPO4 cells under load conditions of less than 3 minutes, with voltage sag down to below 2.5v/cell.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789