Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  10
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1979 XS750 electric conversion

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    She's getting there.... what are you going to do for shocks?
    Maybe an adjustable air shock would be a good idea https://www.partsgiant.com/p324859-p...g-25&r=c-23797

That would let you experiment and adjust for that heavy wheel
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    She's getting there.... what are you going to do for shocks?
    Maybe an adjustable air shock would be a good idea https://www.partsgiant.com/p324859-p...g-25&r=c-23797

That would let you experiment and adjust for that heavy wheel
    That's not a bad idea, but it is a bit pricey. Maybe I'll get that later down the line.
    For ride height, my current plan is to put the bike on center stands and measure the gap between the rear tire and the ground with the stock swingarm, then after I mount the new swingarm, get some shocks that will make the new tire at the same relative height.

As far as damping and spring rate goes, I need to do more research. I was hoping to find some inexpensive shocks that would allow for adjustable damping and rebound, as well as adjustable preload on the springs.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    It's important so don't go too cheap as it will be good money down the drain. Just my opinion

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    It's important so don't go too cheap as it will be good money down the drain. Just my opinion

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah, I totally agree.

I just was hoping to spend closer to 100/shock.
    Maybe that's too low, but if I have to spend more, it's going to be a while before I can get this rolling.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    You might find something used for that price....it will require some real search skills LOL
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    You might find something used for that price....it will require some real search skills LOL
    I did some browsing after I got home.
    Wow. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I just expected suspension parts for motorcycles to be cheaper than ones for cars, not MORE expensive...

But I do want this to be done right so I guess I will have to put that part on hold until I can save more money.

I'm batting a thousand on price expectations... Lol.

I thought custom machining brackets would be the most expensive part of this project, but my custom swingarm adapters I designed are only going to cost me 150 for both with shipping.

Ah well.
    I really want this project to be done right.
    No sense in putting all this effort into a sub-par result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Motorcycle suspension parts are more expensive because of their much lower production volume than those for car suspensions. Plus it costs more to make them look good. Your best bet would be to head for your local motorcycle salvage yard and search for suspension parts off of crashed bikes. You might not find too many front suspensions in good shape, but most rear suspension parts should be OK.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345