Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Tell me if you've had a similar experience: EV vs. The In-laws

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter

Tell me if you've had a similar experience: EV vs. The In-laws

My wife and I moved to Florida just over a year ago. We bought a Chevy Bolt 2 months ago. We love it, but because it can be controversial we've been slow to tell people. My family, I feel, has learned that I do things like that and are curious, so it's been fine. But my wife's family, we've been wading in. She told her 2nd oldest Aunt we had an "EV" and she said that was great. It turns out she did know we meant an electric car. She thought it was a model designation.

This came to a head just a day or two ago as my wife's oldest Aunt passed away. And so my wife was talking to the other Aunt about how long it will take to get to KY because of the charging stops, and that's when the realization that we had bought an electric car came to be. Well, then a 65ish-year-old cousin who was an engineer comes in. The story I got was that he has told the family that electric cars are only meant for around town, and not out of town. And if we "try" to drive it to KY it will damage the car and it could potentially catch on fire. Clearly not much of an engineer. Even my diesel mechanic brother thought it was ridiculous.

I'm a lot calmer than I was a few hours ago. Does anyone else have crazy stories like this?

2. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Personally, I don't see a controversy. Tesla is the best selling car brand in today's market.
    And once SS batteries arrive, you'll be able to drive anywhere in continental USA on a single charge!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    i do get regulary asked if i can still refuel after telling them its electric. Electric seems really hard to understand.

flo

5. Likes jazclrint liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have had a Bolt for three years, and live in central Virginia. Nobody, even our liberal Prius driving friends, think electric cars work. We've been to upstate New York, and Tennessee twice. Relatives don't understand how/why anybody would own one. You will just have to learn to ignore it.

7. Likes jazclrint liked this post