Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Hub Motor Kelly Controller (brushless)

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with Hub Motor Kelly Controller (brushless)

Fotografie-0140.jpgFotografie-0142.jpgFotografie-0137.jpgFotografie-0138.jpg

Hi Guys !

I am building a hybrid scooter, with the original gasoline engine + one brushless hub motor. The hub motor is in the front fork.

I bought from kelly controller the "KEB 72V 8KW Regen Kit" and i bought a 72v battery pack from evcomponents .
    I connected all on my Yamaha Majesty 250 , but the brushless motor doesn't run. I checked the wiring but everything is ok. The motor seems to try to turn ,but he can not and vibrates..., then stop

It appear the following errors on the controller (by led flashing):

3,1 -(led flashing) -Frequent reset
    1. The controller will stop driving after detecting
    too many resets.
    2. Mostly because of B- or return wiring. Use the
    heavier and cleaner return wires. For dual
    controllers, bond B- of both controllers together
    with heavy cable or copper strip.
    3. Could be over current protection. May set max
    current lower.
    4. Restarting will clear the error.
    5. Please contact Kelly if it happens repeatedly

3,2 (led flashing) Internal reset
    Reset caused by over current, high battery voltage
    or low supply voltage. It is normal if occurs
    occasionally.

I checked the parameters, the wiring.... all is correct, but the motor does not want to run

I don't know what to do.

Can anyboby help me?

Many Thanks
    Vyrus79

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a problem I think Kyle (Nuts and Volts) solved a while ago. Turns out, the supposed supply voltage for "key on" is not necessarily 12VDC. If you can put around 18V on the line, the controller should work.

It is a craptacular fix, but Kyle got his working and one would think Kelly would have this fixed (or noted online) by now.

Happy hunting, good luck. And thank Kyle for the fix!
    Famous Quotes....
    James May - "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place!"
    BillMi - "Holy Cats! .... (it's) a death trap with extra killing sauce."
    Teresa Dillard - "I can't believe you (Ted) killed a Prius."

[10-09, 20:32] jpanichella: I was worried I was talking to myself
    [10-09, 20:45] EVcycle: you were I am a bot.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep try what ^^he said first. I was getting those error messages (3,1 and 3,2) with my kelly (mind you brushed). This is especially true if you are running anything off of the controller power supply (ie throttle, contactor).

Thanks for all the credit Sean haha
    -Kyle
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a KBL kelly, but it's also a brushless controller. I was having similar issues, and was told by knowledgeable folks that you have to make sure that the controller is powered on a separate, isolated circuit from either the main traction pack and also the 12V system that your lights and turn signals (and whatnot) are on.

I know mine especially didn't work when i was running both the controller and traction pack off of the same set of batteries during my first set of bench tests. It started working when I changed to two separate (isolated) packs, one for the controller and one for the traction pack.

Good Luck!
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys for your advice.
    I will try now and I will let you know how it went.

Vyrus79

Post Thanks / Like
    Same problem. Nothing happens when i twist the throttle. Also 72 v 8kw regen. How did you get it to work?

7. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any progress?

I have been having the same issue as Vyrus79 on a 48V KEB controller with regen (regen not hooked up) going to a Kelly 48V bldc hub motor. The controller is mounted to a Kelly compact assembly. The first day that I had everything together with the controller powered by the 48V pack, everything worked great. I rode the bike around the block a few times and was very impressed with the performance. I went to ride it the next day, and experienced the same symptons and error codes that Vyrus79 mentioned. The motor will either make a light knocking noise or will turn a very little bit.

When the phase wires are hooked up to the controller (with or without power) the motor will turn by hand but shows some restitance to turning. When the phase wires are disconnected, the motor turns easily and smoothly.

Last weekend I disassembled the motor and found no obvious problems.

Last night, I tried powering the controller with a well-charged 12V battery (showing 13.2V) and the motor would turn very choppily for a few full rotations before the controller would stop. I tried again wityh 24V and the motor would barely react at all. Tonight I will try powering it with an 18V drill battery I am borrowing from a friend, but I wondered if anyone in the thread had met with success.

Sean and Kyle, thank you for paving the way!

Post Thanks / Like
    my little drag scooter "experimental scooter" was using a kelly 48vdc 400amp controller, using a seperate slm 12vdc battery.

the only time it show the over current error was when the battery had just been charged, after the batteries settled it ran just fine...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is our standard Kelly connection diagram I make no claim it will work in your application
    Simple connection for Kelly_2.jpg
    Trying to Change the old school ways of doing things
    But I never Never try to break the laws of Physics
    http://www.enertrac.net
    http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=1543
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEldNmBgIF0
    http://www.evalbum.com/2568

Post Thanks / Like
    KEB Wiring.jpgMarkcycle,
    I notice that your connection diagram has the phase wire order reversed from the Kelly diagram for their hub motor. Does this reverse the direction of the motor? Your diagram answered another question that I had - whether or not to tie the grounds together. Thanks for the input.

Here is the wiring diagram I have used from Kelly.
    Last edited by scoot440; 02 February 2012 at 1155. Reason: Adding Image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast