Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New germ powered battery

Post Thanks / Like

New germ powered battery

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/12/w...ant-eating-vi/

When it comes to building better batteries, building electrodes with greater surface area is key, and scientists are looking to exotic methods to attract the tiny particles they need. We've already seen graphene and carbon nanotubes soak up those electrons, but the University of Maryland has another idea -- they're using the Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) to generate usable patterns of nanorods on the surface of existing metal electrodes. By simply modifying the germ and letting it do its thing, then coating the surface with a conductive film, they're generating ten times the energy capacity of a standard lithium-ion battery
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage

electrician
    If this takes off I wonder if PETA will protest killing the cute little virus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha!

These aren't virus powered batteries - but rather millions of viruses enslaved to do the work of building a battery, and then being killed for all their hard work!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to start a virus union and sue to stop this enslavement.

electrician
    I hear the ACLU knocking on their door

Post Thanks / Like
    I love ideas that are out of the box but his is really waay too much out of the box. Anybody knows if they are still working on it? There are lot of companies enhancing batteries with graphene and nanotubes but I have never heard about this idea before. On the other hand at least it didn't start zombie outbreak or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    It just occurred to me: "tobacco virus" is being used in those lab batteries. Perfect for when the lithium battery catches on fire. But wouldn't marijuana virus be better?
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.