Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoPod: In-Depth Interview with Chip Yates

teddillard
    Warren, I'd love to hear how you'd talk about sex.

(ducks, runs away)

Last edited by teddillard; 18 January 2011 at 1145.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted,

"Warren, I'd love to hear how you'd talk about sex."

For that discussion, I refer you to:

http://www.npg.org/index.html

It is fun to get excited and imagine all sorts of things. But at some point you have to look at the numbers.

Warren

teddillard
    HAHAHahaahaa! Please note though, I said sex, not making babies. ...but you're at least in character.

Post Thanks / Like
    =Warren;6820... But as the race gets longer...you lose.

So, what magic am I missing?
    As the race gets longer, gas bikes will need to refill tanks, electric will need to swap batteries. Yeah, only a couple bikes are capable of swapping right now but it's doable if lengthening the races was necessary.

Also, the weight of batteries has a fair amount of variance, even amongst those with similar chemistry. Unfortunately, no one's really putting out how many wh/kg they are getting. Hell, Yates still can't say who his supplier is. (NDA)

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I love EV's. They are quiet, clean, mechanically simple, don't require as much foreign oil, etc. However, I don't get the whole, "They will kick ICE vehicle's ass!" thing.

Now in 8 laps you might look pretty good against ICE, maybe even better in a dragster. But as the race gets longer...you lose.

So, what magic am I missing?
    The general public, especially in the states, is obsessed with performance. All you need do is look at the marketing material for a mass-produced vehicle. It's all about horsepower, top speed, sleekness... only recently has fuel economy been a widespread concern, but even that is low on the totem pole to the average buyer.

Probably the biggest hurdle to widespread EV acceptance is overcoming the performance stigma. EVs have traditionally been viewed as slow, limited range toys. Range continues to be an issue, but at least now the public's perception of performance is improving. One down, one to go? Just my 2c.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now in 8 laps you might look pretty good against ICE, maybe even better in a dragster. But as the race gets longer...you lose.
    At CCS races they are 8 laps or 12 in the gp class. As a motorcyclist to me ebikes are motorcycles first. If the race is 8 laps and the ebike could go that distance at race speed then its as good as any other bike gas or not. ( as long as its not 600 lbs ) Typically a 600 ss class bike uses around a gallon of gas at race speeds over the 1.6 NHMS track.

Post Thanks / Like
    For that discussion, I refer you to:

http://www.npg.org/index.html
    That website is great! I'm happy that I'm not the only a$$hole who feels the population was too high and that the number of people is the real issue at the center of any resource problem or debate.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chdfarl View Post
    If the race is 8 laps and the ebike could go that distance at race speed then its as good as any other bike gas or not.
    Which has been my argument all along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chdfarl View Post
    That website is great! I'm happy that I'm not the only a$$hole who feels the population was too high and that the number of people is the real issue at the center of any resource problem or debate.
    Way off topic here, but have you ever read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn? Thought provoking on this particular subject.
    Follow me on twitter or read my blog.

Post Thanks / Like
    "As the race gets longer, gas bikes will need to refill tanks, electric will need to swap batteries."

"Typically a 600 ss class bike uses around a gallon of gas at race speeds over the 1.6 NHMS track."

I admit I don't know much about motorcycle racing, or whether any races are long enough to require pit stops for fuel. But if they are, 8kWh of lipo weighs 128 pounds, and a gallon of gas weighs less than 8 pounds. If the bikes are evenly matched, then carrying an extra 8 pounds of fuel, and avoiding a pit stop, sounds like a sure way to win.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast