Power in Flux
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoPod: In-Depth Interview with Chip Yates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

MotoPod: In-Depth Interview with Chip Yates

Chip talks about his racing history, profiles his emc engineering crew, breaks down some of the tech from his Swigs bike and talks about what's next.

http://www.motopodcast.com/

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter
    Damn, scooped again!

And don't forget, right after the Yates interview in that same podcast is a round table in which Mark Miller joins in and the discussion leads to e-bikes and the Ep1c, eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks @jazclrint for the heads-up. I only listened to the first 90 minutes, but I'll definitely tune back in.

Were you surprised, like me, that Chip said he's not interested in an emc shoot-out? I seem to remember Gene saying the opposite in one of the threads? However, why not have all the other e-superbikes race in WERA? Let them have their e-cake in the TTXGP, then let's see what they are served for dinner in WERA against Chip and the gassers.

IMHO the TTXGP's recent banning of Chip's bike signals that they are more interested in promoting the commuter viability of emcs than no-holds-barred high-speed racing. Don't they read their own press? "The difference in power between the bikes was significant, yet this is also what has made this series so exciting. Teams have had the liberty to try practically whatever they can in order to win." http://www.egrandprix.com/news.php?id=169

Anybody else excited at the prospect of seeing MotoCzysz, Mission Motors, Lighting and the rest of the e-superbikes compete against Chip in WERA?

Today is a Holiday here in SoCal and I'm reminded of some words from someone this holiday honors. You might agree with me that he knew more than just a little something about overcoming obstacles, "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." MLK

The TTXGP is no-doubt moving emcs forward at an admirable pace, but their recent decision puts shackles on the advancement of e-engineering. Chip's dream is clearly expressed in the MotoPod interview. He doesn't want his efforts to be shackled, he wants to fly.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I find the comparison between what Chip did and the like of Mission Motors or the TTXGP pointless. It's just as appropriate for anyone to say to Chip shave a few pounds and come race with us as it is for Chip to say see you in the WERA races. It's all horses for courses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAK View Post
    Personally I find the comparison between what Chip did and the like of Mission Motors or the TTXGP pointless. It's just as appropriate for anyone to say to Chip shave a few pounds and come race with us as it is for Chip to say see you in the WERA races. It's all horses for courses.
    From my listening to the interview, as well as reading articles about Chip's bike, the "few pounds" that you say he would need to "shave" stands at 35 pounds. To lighten the Swigz bike that much would require removing the front KERS, using a smaller less powerful motor and a smaller battery pack. If Chip can go the same distance as the e-competition and do it in less time, why should he have to downgrade his bike? The TTXGP rules are no longer optimized for speed and if that continues to be the case the series might sell more commuter bikes, but I doubt it will bring as many fans to emc racing as Chip will in WERA. But, I do agree with you that it is pointless to compare a race series that bans the most powerful bikes with a series that lets you push your tech as far as possible.
    Last edited by BoneFire; 17 January 2011 at 2232.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneFire View Post
    From my listening to the interview, as well as reading articles about Chip's bike, the "few pounds" that you say he would need to "shave" stands at 35 pounds. To lighten the Swigz bike that much would require removing the front KERS, using a smaller less powerful motor and a smaller battery pack. If Chip can go the same distance as the e-competition and do it in less time, why should he have to downgrade his bike. The TTXGP rules are no longer optimized for speed and if that continues to be the case the series might sell more commuter bikes, but I doubt it will bring as many fans to emc racing as Chip will in WERA. But, I do agree with you that it is pointless to compare a race series that bans the most powerful bikes with a series that lets you push your tech as far as possible.
    Well let's get one thing perfectly clear, TTXGP aren't banning anyone or any bike. They have eligibility rules, and you're either eligible or you're not. No one is banned. You're simply not looking at this objectively. Now, the rules may or may not have been implemented because of Chip's bike, but that's not saying that they banned him.

If it's all about this wonderful electric bike that can beat gassers let's see Chip enter an AMA Motocross race. Like I said, it's horses for courses. If it's all about speed why were there 125cc bikes at the WERA races? You're fixated on one thing, the bike, and totally miss the point of racing.

It's why Holyfield was never in the ring with Mayweather. Two different classes. Who'd want to see that fight? Maybe you want to see a bruiser. Maybe you prefer something with a little more finesse. Maybe, like me, you like both.

Post Thanks / Like
    @DaveAK True, just waiting to see if anyone listened to Chip's interview where he said that the TTXGP had, "effectively banned his bike", which is different than specifically banning his bike.

Motocross? Where did that come from? lolz

Your "horses for courses" reference is why Chip raced in the WERA heavyweight twins divisions. He raced against bikes with similar hp/weight ratios. I get the point about racing similar classes to assess the riders skills. But if the advantage of techno-savvy engineering is severely restricted in emc racing, I won't continue to watch.

If you want a boxing anaology, how about PacMan? How many titles does he hold now? Let the emcs race the gassers in the WERA sprints and let them have their own e-party too.
    Last edited by BoneFire; 17 January 2011 at 2259.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sad to see the TTXGP rule book become more restrictive. Last year I said that the reason I was interested in electric racing was because the technology was relatively young and since the TTXGP rule book was so much less restrictive than even the MotoGP rule book, anyone with a good idea could build a winning bike. Every new rule makes it that much less likely that there will be something really new. Last year the heaviest bike was the fastest bike. I fear that it is too early to restrict that line of inquiry.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I've mentioned before, Yates tweeted a couple months ago that he had been working on a "stealth" program to bring the bike down below the new TTXGP limit before it had been announced. He never mentions that -- perhaps because no one has asked him about it.

And I actually chuckle when Chip says that the TTXGP has "effectively banned" him from racing in the series. He'd have made a good lawyer. Of course the rules "effectively banned" him from racing his bike at its current weight. Even Azhar would probably have to agree with that. In related news, the Missouri Department of Transportation has effectively banned me from driving at my desired speed of 100 mph on the way to work. Damn you, MODOT! You, and your fancy Speed Limit signs! Nobody consulted with me about them before they were posted, either.

If any of the TTXGP teams wish to race in WERA, there is no rule prohibiting them from doing so. As for WSBK or any of the AMA-level series, I suppose it's possible that we will see the electrics race against the petrols one day, but I can't see it happening very soon...at least not in a race other than some sort of exhibition.
    Follow me on twitter or read my blog.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is apparent from that interview that Chip does not race electric because he dislikes the oil industry or cares about the environment (not that he doesnt at all). He races electric purely for something to innovate upon and the raw power. His quest for "power" is in turn helping the electric motorcycle industry and I thank him for that. He does have the same "get your hands dirty" that we have on el moto.

But this, in my opionion, is not the mantra (sp?) of el moto and maybe the TTXGP. I (maybe we) is/are here because we think there is something better. Something clean, more efficient, and in ways simpler. I built my bike because it just makes more sense to me to use the energy we have better. I would race to prove that "anything you can do, we can do cleaner, smarter, easier". The only thing I wish some of the top electrics did was collaborate in ways to spark interest and makes some noise (hehe). Like race each other, or have a endurance test or something besides not racing. Each high power electric team has its own distinct way of running because they want to go out and be the best, but I think if they just had some sort of interaction (like lightning and motocycsz at laguna) the electric (motorcycle) revolution could get the big kick start it needs

Ok all done preaching.
    Kyle
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 17 January 2011 at 1524.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast