Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 93 GSX-R conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    Very nice build. Well thought out.

Interesting results/observation on the gear ratio. Right now I am at 4.1:1 and found it running 70 mph easily.

Have fun with it and be safe!!!
    I'm going to try 4:1 next...will post results. I have a feeling I'm not really tapping the full capacity of the system at 5:1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great build! I especially like the way you integrated the battery strapping system into the battery mounting system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big fan of the lexan covers....I like those better than the stock GBS ones. Part of the point is to show off what is in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah...plus the stock GBS ones are kinda flimsy (not to knock them, otherwise their system is great). I had a feeling they would have all fallen off after the first ride, and don't really seal the batteries up very well anyway.

And for sure, showing off the BMS boards is cool. It makes it easier to point to the boards when I'm explaining the system to people.

I also drilled holes in the backs of the battery trays so you can see the LEDs of the cells that would otherwise be hidden. I'll try to get a picture of that at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea the GBS covers are definitely flimsy. Neat idea but not executed too well. I may steal your idea to replace all of them with some thin lexan. That actually will help solve an issue I have had with lower pack of cells. The Lexan will also eliminate the purple from my bike doesnt really flow with my (any?) color scheme

The more slick builds I see it makes me wish I had some more patience with my first build :/
    oh well there's always number two...and three.... and probably four..... at least its the right kind of addiction!
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Yea the GBS covers are definitely flimsy. Neat idea but not executed too well. I may steal your idea to replace all of them with some thin lexan. That actually will help solve an issue I have had with lower pack of cells. The Lexan will also eliminate the purple from my bike doesnt really flow with my (any?) color scheme

The more slick builds I see it makes me wish I had some more patience with my first build :/
    oh well there's always number two...and three.... and probably four..... at least its the right kind of addiction!
    If you read my project log, you can see all the mistakes and steps backward I made along the way. Nice thing is, you can take it all apart and redo it the way you want.

Yeah...purple is, um, questionable... I should post some more info on how I made the covers. Here's the short story:

I used 1/8" plexiglass.

Use a heat gun to just soften up the area you want to bend. This will keep the rest of the plexiglass (or lexan) straight. I made a wood block from 3/4" MDF (particleboard) to bend the plexi around. I cut it to the exact length fo the inside of the plexi cover. The first couple of tries, I was off by a mm or two and it just didn't fit. Had to be spot on.

I found it easiest to get another piece of MDF and sandwich the plexi. Then heat up the joint until it's nice and floppy (about 500 deg, takes a few minutes, be patient so you don't melt it). Then fold the end over by pressing it down on a flat surface. Have to do it quick because it'll cool really fast.

I had to make a bump in the covers to make room for the cable ends. I did this by cutting a piece of PVC pipe in half and taping it to the MDF block. Then put the plexi on it and heat the area until it's soft, then press down around the PVC piece to make a bump.

Last thing - when I tried to use high density rubber at the ends it was too tight and I snapped a couple pieces. So I used little sections of toolbox drawer liner between the battery ends and the plexi. It was soft enough that I could just push the covers down without having to undo the end plates.

I'll work up some instructions on my website when I have time.

Good luck - it is really worth the effort.

EDIT: I put up illustrated instructions on page 4 of my website.
    Last edited by podolefsky; 01 February 2011 at 1342.

jpanichella
    Are we going to get some more videos soon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpanichella View Post
    Are we going to get some more videos soon?
    Just posted another of my wife Molly riding about 100 ft.

When the weather is better here I'm going to head out with someone filming from a car to get some good action videos. Right now, the roads are covered in ice and snow.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the Molly Rides video, but I think it should be "Molly Rides and Noah chases with Camera"

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Noah. Bike looks AWESOME!!

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast