Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  20
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 425

Thread: 93 GSX-R conversion

              
   
   
  1. #411
    Seņor Member podolefsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

    -busbars and mid-pack fuse in place
    -plastic pieces designed that are combo spacers / covers for openings in the cell casing
    -plastic covers for busbars / terminals
    -rubber pieces around the mid-pack fuse and sealing busbar entry into cover boxes

    Colors are just to highlight in CAD (most parts will be black or plain aluminum).

    I'm going to 3D print all the plastic and rubber pieces.

    GSXE-ASSY-02-L.jpgGSXE-ASSY-02-R.jpgGSXE-ASSY-02-R-CLOSE.jpgGSXE-ASSY-02-WIRED-R.jpgLEAF-CELL-SPACER-ASSY-A.jpgLEAF-CELL-SPACER-ASSY-B.jpg
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

  2. Likes Arjay liked this post
  3. #412
    I should be working! furyphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Harrop, BC, Canada
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like

    My Social Networking

    Add furyphoto on Facebook
    I'm interested to see how it looks when you are done. I always thought that the top heavy look of your original pack is one of the things that made the bike look so good. It kind of mimicked a big ol' Inline Four. So many people have a square brick look that doesn't give an electric bike much style
    -Andrew

    http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

    My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

  4. #413
    Senior Member Hugues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like these 3d printed purple spacers/covers. I just printed round spacers for mine and they were a pain during assembly of the pack.
    Are you selling your 3d file ?

    Also, i don't have a mid-pack fuse, only the main fuse on the + side pf the pack.
    Can you bring me back to reality and explain why i need a mid-pack fuse as well ?
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

  5. #414
    Seņor Member podolefsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
    I'm interested to see how it looks when you are done. I always thought that the top heavy look of your original pack is one of the things that made the bike look so good. It kind of mimicked a big ol' Inline Four. So many people have a square brick look that doesn't give an electric bike much style
    I did too. But, the new pack will be a cleaner look overall with its own style. Not to mention more range, power, and a smaller package.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    I like these 3d printed purple spacers/covers. I just printed round spacers for mine and they were a pain during assembly of the pack.
    Are you selling your 3d file ?

    Also, i don't have a mid-pack fuse, only the main fuse on the + side pf the pack.
    Can you bring me back to reality and explain why i need a mid-pack fuse as well ?

    I'll put the 3D file up on grabcad once I've tested the fit.

    Location of the pack fuse is up to you. You want it either mid-pack or as close as possible to one of the main battery terminals. A mid-pack fuse protects right at the main +/- terminals. It honestly isn't that important for this pack. If the pack is completely enclosed then once it's built up even a dead short across the main terminals is still protected. It's nice once the pack is assembled and you're messing around connecting things.

    If you use a mid-pack fuse you need to make sure your BMS supports it. With the Orion that means between cell tap connectors. Otherwise if the pack fuse opens it will blow the cell tap fuses inside the BMS, which have to be replaced at the factory. If your Orion is 36S or less and only uses the first cell bank it won't work. I'm not sure yet if I'll use an Orion BMS, or even a BMS, but if I do it will be a 48S "split" configuration, which allows up to 24 cells on each tap connector. I'll have 10 on connector 1 and 18 on connector 2.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

  6. #415
    Senior Member Hugues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    ...

    Location of the pack fuse is up to you. You want it either mid-pack or as close as possible to one of the main battery terminals. A mid-pack fuse protects right at the main +/- terminals. It honestly isn't that important for this pack. If the pack is completely enclosed then once it's built up even a dead short across the main terminals is still protected. It's nice once the pack is assembled and you're messing around connecting things.

    If you use a mid-pack fuse you need to make sure your BMS supports it. With the Orion that means between cell tap connectors. Otherwise if the pack fuse opens it will blow the cell tap fuses inside the BMS, which have to be replaced at the factory. If your Orion is 36S or less and only uses the first cell bank it won't work. I'm not sure yet if I'll use an Orion BMS, or even a BMS, but if I do it will be a 48S "split" configuration, which allows up to 24 cells on each tap connector. I'll have 10 on connector 1 and 18 on connector 2.
    thanks for the explanation, i thought it was needed to have one mid-pack, because i was reading about it in Orion manual, now i understand why they write about it.

    thanks
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

  7. #416
    Senior Member Spaceweasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good! I was playing around with the idea of Leaf cells as well, but I haven't managed to bridge the gap between the battery compartment I have now and what will work for the Leafs. The angled T approach to placement was where I ended up at as well, but you seem to have fit more batteries than I thought the frame would handle.

  8. #417
    Seņor Member podolefsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

  9. Likes Hugues liked this post
  10. #418
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I was also wondering what happened to your build. It see,s Leaf cells are easier to get hold of in the States, not so in the UK.

  11. #419
    Seņor Member podolefsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    Looks good! I was playing around with the idea of Leaf cells as well, but I haven't managed to bridge the gap between the battery compartment I have now and what will work for the Leafs. The angled T approach to placement was where I ended up at as well, but you seem to have fit more batteries than I thought the frame would handle.
    It is definitely tight but looks it'll fit. Do you have a 92 or 93? I think there are some slight changes between years.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

  12. #420
    Seņor Member podolefsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,889
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had a better idea for the large hole covers. Pics of new cover/spacers and 4 module assembly.

    20170328_084719.jpg20170328_084727.jpg20170328_084802.jpg20170328_084810.jpg
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

  13. Likes kiwibob liked this post
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •