PDA

View Full Version : Brammo has $10 million in Empulse orders

Richard230
31 March 2011, 0833
This article in the Rogue Valley Clean Cities news says that Brammo now has $10 million in pre-orders for their new Empulse range, which will hopefully get delivered to their long-waiting owners (like me) by the end of this year. Read the article here:

http://www.roguevalleycleancities.org/images/news.html/March2011Newsletter.pdf

I also hope that many of the people who pre-ordered the Empulse have not bought IC bikes instead, or have used their vehicle funds for other purposes while waiting for the delivery of this new moto. At least rising gas prices may have helped to solidify their interest in this purchase. With almost 1000 orders for the Empulse it will be interesting to see how many actually get purchased when it comes time to actually fork over the dough. :confused:

Warren
31 March 2011, 1027
Richard,

Thanks for the link. I won't be buying an ICE anything. Still limping along with my old Sentra E. I have a Empulse 10.0, and a Leaf SL on pre-order. Right now it is a race to see if either will arrive before 2012.

Nissan has raised its price about $7000 in other markets. If they raise it for the remaining US pre-orders, that would put it out of my range.

It will be interesting to see what price the Empulse finally comes in at.

Warren

Richard230
31 March 2011, 1531
Warren,

I also have a 10.0 on order.

I am hoping that the price for the Empulse will drop once Brammo gets its contracts in place, the factory set up and suppliers lined up. They did a really nice job dropping the price of the Enertia, just before it was released, from $12000 to $8000 and I am hoping they can do the same with the Empulse by taking advantage of volume production and off-shore production and equipment sourcing. I believe that they are making prototypes at their factory in Oregon, but I am not sure that the factory is large enough to produce 1000 Empulses quickly and cheaply.

I might add that I am just guessing here. I have absolutely no knowledge of their plans for producing the Empulse, other than that I have heard the first of the bikes should be on sale by the end of the year.

Richard

Warren
31 March 2011, 2014
Richard,

> I believe that they are making prototypes at their factory in Oregon, but I am not sure that the factory is large enough to produce 1000 Empulses quickly and cheaply.

From the article:

"The new generation of bike that rolls out of the manufacturing plant in Hungary this spring"

With the price of gas, and CO2 regulation in Europe, the US may not be the most profitable market for EVs. Again, Nissan is asking more for the Leaf in the UK, Japan, and Europe. We, in the US may prefer to trade blood for oil, than dollars for EVs.

Warren

chef
31 March 2011, 2122
I am hoping that the price for the Empulse will drop once Brammo gets its contracts in place, the factory set up and suppliers lined up. They did a really nice job dropping the price of the Enertia, just before it was released, from $12000 to $8000 and I am hoping they can do the same with the Empulse by taking advantage of volume production and off-shore production and equipment sourcing. I believe that they are making prototypes at their factory in Oregon, but I am not sure that the factory is large enough to produce 1000 Empulses quickly and cheaply.
I'd be really surprised if the Enertia's price drops in the year after its introduction. It has a significantly larger battery pack. LiPo is at a price premium over LFP and prices don't seem to be budging. If anything, I have a suspicion the Enertia's prices will go up especially if demand is higher than they can keep up with (a good problem to have).

Warren - Do you have any more information about the Leaf's price hikes? I wonder if the prices fetched by private sellers will go up in the short term.

Warren
31 March 2011, 2234
These are the prices in US dollars today, which change from day to day vs the local currency.
UK $50,310
France $43,923
Canada $39,620
Japan $40,700

Several used Leafs (yes, Leafs) were listed on Ebay recently. Owners asking about $50,000. I doubt they got any takers.

Nissan was clearly sorry they low-balled the price in the beginning, given the quick sign-ups, and the later price announced for the Volt.

EVcycle
01 April 2011, 0209
Nissan was clearly sorry they low-balled the price in the beginning, given the quick sign-ups, and the later price announced for the Volt.

Not sure what you are talking about. The price here for a Leaf (We are getting some for work) is still the same 33K.
The Plant in Japan shut down briefly due to the Earthquake, but is back up running in a limited capacity.
This information came from the Leaf Operational Manager who lives in the area.

There were 266 demos that had not made it to the dealers (and not driven as demos yet either) that Nissan pulled and sent to Customers to
honor their purchase orders. I think the Ebay sales were like the Prius, people bought them to just try to turn them around and make a quick buck.

Warren
01 April 2011, 0551
"The price here for a Leaf (We are getting some for work) is still the same 33K."

And I suspect/hope it will remain so, for the US pre-orders. Upping it now would be a marketing disaster. But when the "cold weather pack" is available, and then a new "model year" gives them cover, the price will likely go up to bring it closer to profitability.