PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the Ninja to Calib's

DRZ400
20 April 2011, 0728

So I have my Calibs in, final balanced with single cell charger. Just waiting on 2 celllogs that were are on back order (they shipped one). Also need to do some minor surgury on the upper fairing. Plan to go for a ride later today after the road dry up.

There's a 2009 Ninja 250R in town for sale, black.....so tempting.

jpanichella
20 April 2011, 0745
Looks great! Can't wait to see how you like them.

Which single cell charger did you use?

DRZ400
20 April 2011, 0800
First I charged them in 3 groups of 8 with (3) 24v 5amp chargers, put a 10 amp diodes in series with the outputs. This brougt each cell to ~ 3.5 volts. Then I used (2) single cell chargers (Tenergy 2amp) and moved them thru the cells tp top them off. Going to use (3) Celllogs, (3) 24v relays and a single 15a AC solid state relay for BMS. I may add a Mini BMS depending on how well the cells stay balanced.

billmi
20 April 2011, 0921
That's looking good!

I stayed away from laying my cells flat after reading a few posts on various forums about that not being a good plan for prismatic cells, but I'm not sure it's as serious an issue for CALBs, since it's Thundersky that recommends against it.

DRZ400
20 April 2011, 0947
Yeah I read that too, however I also saw lots of examples of TS and Calib cells on their sides and no one stating any problems. I marked each cell, figured I'd flip them after some use.

Took a 10 mile ride, first thing I noticed was how light the bike felt (~65 lbs lighter). Acceleration was way better even though its only 55 out. My SLA's would be soft until over 75 degrees. Also the bike was quiet, think its because the fairing was off.

Did you do any plastics repairing? I need to widen my lower fairing and was wondering...Acetone?

Coninsan
20 April 2011, 0954
I've used Acetone and ABS scraps to form a glue that works very well for ABS fairings. Pretty common solution amung Danish riders and very effective :)

billmi
20 April 2011, 0956
I bet that weight loss feels great on the bike, not to mention not having a power loss in the cool weather!

Yes, I'm not done with the bodywork on the upper fairing, but it had some major cracks through one side of it. I ended up using tape and shims to get the crack lined up, then dripping ABS cement into the crack. That held surprisingly well, but to be sure, I laid a layer of fiberglass mat on the inside of that area. I also glassed over the holes in the turn signal indents, then puttied them in, since I'm using mirrors with integrated signals.

jpanichella
20 April 2011, 1029
Yeah I read that too, however I also saw lots of examples of TS and Calib cells on their sides and no one stating any problems. I marked each cell, figured I'd flip them after some use.

Took a 10 mile ride, first thing I noticed was how light the bike felt (~65 lbs lighter). Acceleration was way better even though its only 55 out. My SLA's would be soft until over 75 degrees. Also the bike was quiet, think its because the fairing was off.

Did you do any plastics repairing? I need to widen my lower fairing and was wondering...Acetone?

I think Weld-On is the way to go when it comes to a plastic solvent. Nasty stuff though. Wear gloves.