PDA

View Full Version : Latest Brammo Empulse news

Richard230
03 May 2011, 0750
My mistake.

teddillard
03 May 2011, 0755
...watch for some news from Brammo tomorrow!

Richard230
03 May 2011, 0815
Yikes, Ted. I didn't read that last sentence! I had better remove all of my messages if I can.

Richard230
03 May 2011, 0830
OK. I think I have repaired my mistakes. Thanks for catching that for me Ted. Hopefully, you were the only one that read the post. It is not exactly earth-shattering news, but I should have paid more attention to the request not to spread it around until the official Brammo announcement is made tomorrow.

Warren
03 May 2011, 0836
I saw it. But I got the email, so no harm done. Shhh!!

electriKAT
03 May 2011, 1015
I saw it too. I don't remember word for word, but it was something about a compound in Pakistan and some guy named Osimar, or O-something. Probably shouldn't leak that on the internets.

chef
03 May 2011, 1053
Wait... what just happened? They interviewed Osimar?

:p

Allen_okc
03 May 2011, 1119
:confused:

EVcycle
03 May 2011, 1628
???????????????????????

Always late to the party! :)

Richard230
03 May 2011, 1757
There will be official news tomorrow, Ed. No doubt it will show up on El Moto first. :cool:

teddillard
04 May 2011, 0354
Here's the crux of it:
"We had a tough decision to make recently: Deliver the Empulse this riding season, or integrate our latest technology and deliver a superior bike in 2012. After much deliberation, we decided to be true to our values and build the best bike we can. We still have a good amount of work and testing to do in order to bring you the world's greatest electric motorcycle. We believe it is going to be worth the wait. For those of you who are interested, we plan to involve some of you in test riding the new Empulse once we have completed the safety testing.

This week we will be announcing some new prototype models based on the new technology. These bikes have helped us thoroughly test and prove the technology that is being integrated into the Empulse."

Not really surprising if you've been watching the writing on the wall... My personal unsubstantiated opinion is that they're looking at a couple of breakthroughs in battery and motor cooling technology, and rather than give you something that will be immediately obsoleted by next year, they want to run the RR and blow things up a few times, get it solid as a rock, and then hit the streets with a winner.

As far as manufacturing toolups go, it's smarter like this as well... why tool up for a bike you know has a short shelf life? More time to raise VC money too.

Rather than being disappointed, I'm pretty stoked to see what they are looking to break. I think it's pretty easy to forget where we are in this market. Like the early days of digital photography, stuff is moving incredibly fast. I think we always have to keep in mind that, for the first decade or so, we're all going to be "early adopters".

Now buy my book so I can afford one! :D

teddillard
04 May 2011, 0417
...aaaaaand, a little more, from their press release:

"Brammo has acquired an exclusive international license of SMRE’s patented Integrated Electric Transmission™ (IET). IET enables Brammo to offer its electric motorcycles with a 6 speed transmission - further improving performance and range."

I'm thinkin' LiPo, some awesome cooling technology and a tranny. Which should keep the motor cooler. Wait. What? hmmmmm... thinkthinkthink o_0

teddillard
04 May 2011, 0433
...aaaaaand, a little more, from their press release:

"Brammo has acquired an exclusive international license of SMRE’s patented Integrated Electric Transmission™ (IET). IET enables Brammo to offer its electric motorcycles with a 6 speed transmission - further improving performance and range."

I'm thinkin' LiPo, some awesome cooling technology and a tranny. Which should keep the motor cooler. Wait. What? hmmmmm... thinkthinkthink o_0

Finally got my post up, connecting the dots: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/update-from-brammo-empulse-production-transmissions/

(oops, crap, I thought I was editing my previous post, sorry!)

Allen_okc
04 May 2011, 0520
see im with that ideal, a transmission with a electric motor. it only makes sense to do so... we have been doing vehicles that are direct drive and leaves us limited in multiple terrain conditions, from flat land to hills riding, a transmission makes clear sense to me...

Richard230
04 May 2011, 0722
As someone who has pre-ordered an Empulse, I am not too happy about waiting another 6 months or more for the bike to be delivered, but I can understand the reasoning and I have to agree with the additional wait to get a better performing and (hopefully) more reliable motorcycle.

Having experienced two half-baked GPR-S models and having seen the Zero thing over the past few years - where first they are not available when promised and then are upgraded every year so that early adopters are left holding a obsolete bike almost as soon as it is purchased, I can appreciate Brammo's decision. It will be tough waiting longer for the Empulse, but it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

Brutus
04 May 2011, 0734
Well, it looks like putting in a transmission IS the wave of the future!

Richard230
04 May 2011, 0756
Maybe the transmission is only for the dirt bikes. I can see how having a multi-speed transmission would be handy for trail riding. Having additional torque and a lower speed range would likely make it easier to climb hills and maneuver at slow speeds. Still, six-speeds does seem like a lot to me and I just don't think it would be needed on the Enertia or Empulse for street riding. But then I don't have a clue what that new motor technology is all about. Maybe it has a very narrow operating rpm range. I think investigating the design of the IET transmission might provide some additional details about what is going on and what the practical advantages of this technology are.

ZoomSmith
04 May 2011, 0825
I am split on this Brammo news:

I'm definitely excited about new options an their willingness to bring the latest developments to market.
However, I also feel used, as if the Pre-order program was just another marketing ploy.

Guess I have to sit tight to see how it plays out.

teddillard
04 May 2011, 0852
I also feel used, as if the Pre-order program was just another marketing ploy.

Used? And the problem with that is ... ?? :D (IMHO, it's when you feel used and cheap that there's a problem... :O)

Anyway, it's not marketing. It has been, from the very start, an effort to sell bikes, of course, but also to prove to investors that it's a business plan that is going to work. ANY company setting out to do this kind of thing has to do that. If they took your money, it would be another issue entirely.

Your pre-order means a lot of things to Brammo, but a very big one is the ability for them to point to it and say "See? It can work!" to their investors, current and prospective.

Like I've said, they don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing. Soon it will all seem staid and boring, like digital photography does now. :D

ZoomSmith
04 May 2011, 0950
(IMHO, it's when you feel used and cheap that there's a problem... )

Agreed! ;)

DaveAK
04 May 2011, 1009
I like the idea of a transmission, but 6 speed? I'm interested to see how this shakes out.

And digital photogrpahy has always been boring. :D

electriKAT
04 May 2011, 1054
I am split on this Brammo news:

I'm definitely excited about new options an their willingness to bring the latest developments to market.
However, I also feel used, as if the Pre-order program was just another marketing ploy.

Guess I have to sit tight to see how it plays out.

Yeah, I can certainly understand that. When you place a pre-order, you start counting the days. But Brammo has made it clear that they put a lot of thought into their decision to delay the bike and redesign it. So it's not like they intended to do this from the beginning.

jpanichella
04 May 2011, 1101

Woah, burn!

electriKAT
04 May 2011, 1115
Thanks Kelso.

teddillard
04 May 2011, 1126

yeah... considering the source, I 'spect so.

>>SNAP<<

DaveAK
04 May 2011, 1224
yeah... considering the source, I 'spect so.

>>SNAP<<
LOL! Touché. :D

Richard230
14 June 2011, 0735
Two Wheel Blog has posted a few comments about the new six-speed Brammo Engage. The text is not too interesting, but it includes a nice 41 second promotional video by Brammo for their new Engage motocrosser that is exciting - if you like wheelies and burnouts in the city. See it here:

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/6580/brammo-engage-electric-dirt-bike?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+twowheelsblog%2Fcom+%28twowhe elsblog%29

Kane
29 December 2012, 1417
How Brammo TTX differ from Empulse R and RR? Just nice painting and racing settings or more powerfull drive?
https://www.facebook.com/BrammoInc

protomech
30 December 2012, 0922
Bear in mind all of this is to the best of my recollection, information, or in some cases guessing : )

TTX is based on the production Empulse R streetbike. It ditches the onboard charger, mirrors, turn signals, and gets a tail chop and unique fairing paint. While the Empulse R has very good sport suspension, I don't know if the TTX retains it or gets a race-specific upgrade; similarly for the streetbike's Brembo brakes. Tires are almost certainly race-specific.

The Empulse RR is a prototype bike, and shares little with the Empulse R streetbike (possibly the frame). The battery cells are - or were - the same. Battery pack was 100% larger than Enertia Plus, 33% larger than Empulse (6.2 kWh, 9.3 kWh, 12.4 kWh) and much higher voltage (all 10Ah cell, 24s7p 88.8v 70Ah, 28s9p 104v 90Ah and probably? 84s4p 311v 40Ah). Empulse RR has always been a single speed bike. Motor is the larger Parker GVM 210 motor; Empulse R uses the smaller Parker GVM 142 motor. Motor controller, DAQ & displays, etc are all hugely expensive. Fairing is Amber Composites carbon fiber.

jazclrint
30 December 2012, 1641
What Proto said. But the TTX does get race spec Ohlins TTX suspension, a hotter "map", and anything necessary only for the street removed. The RR is a prototype, however, not even the chassis has anything in common with the R.