PDA

View Full Version : Empulse questions

MattEdge
05 May 2011, 0853
Hello all,

Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong place (I hope my deductive skills dont suck that much >.<)

I had a few questions about this new Brammo Empulse I was curious about

The liquid cooling solution they're deploying looks very much like my computer's liquid cooling setup I installed not too long ago. Did they make the solution maintenance free? I see what looks like a reservoir on the instrumentation, but couldn't determine for myself. Are they cooling the individual cells or the whole box?
And it also looks like they have the radiator front and center. How is this rad supposed to hold up to the elements? (Assuming they made the bike with intent to withstand the elements)

Lastly: those brackets they're using to hold the batteries in place, are they made out of metal?

I tried searching through the forums, but couldn't find these answers :(

Nuts & Volts
05 May 2011, 0912
Hello all,

Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong place (I hope my deductive skills dont suck that much >.<)

I had a few questions about this new Brammo Empulse I was curious about

The liquid cooling solution they're deploying looks very much like my computer's liquid cooling setup I installed not too long ago. Did they make the solution maintenance free? I see what looks like a reservoir on the instrumentation, but couldn't determine for myself. Are they cooling the individual cells or the whole box?
And it also looks like they have the radiator front and center. How is this rad supposed to hold up to the elements? (Assuming they made the bike with intent to withstand the elements)

Lastly: those brackets they're using to hold the batteries in place, are they made out of metal?

I tried searching through the forums, but couldn't find these answers :(

The Liquid cooling is only for the motor. The batteries shouldnt be pushed enough in a 20 mile to need any active cooling (some thermal conduction and passive air should be alloed thou). Otherwise the batteries are underspec'd IMHO. A car (or 20kWh pack) pack is a different story. The radiator is like any bike radiator and should definitely be just fine.

The brackets is the frame. They are extruded aluminum that is welded in place and (i assume) the battery boxes are bolted in place from the top

Richard230
05 May 2011, 1514
Keep in mind that the Empulse being shown around town (see attached photos) is just a prototype. The final version is likely to change significantly, especially if this new Italian motor/transmission technology is used on the production Empulse.

MattEdge
06 May 2011, 1056
I see. Thanks for the info and photos!