PDA

View Full Version : Question it out my minibikes when generated

Jack Riggi
05 August 2011, 0728
This question is about my minibikes wind generator. The little motors that I'm using right now came out of a Roby vacuum cleaner, if I wanted to use them on my Green Thang full-size motorcycle what would be the best type of electric motor to use. I'm thinking possibly of a good brushless motor something that would put out a lot of power and still be small enough to not be too heavy, something that would be light enough to put on say the front fender it's made out of plastic so it would help to be light :)any comments?

Allen_okc
05 August 2011, 0826
this is just a thought about the wind generator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5I2JCwlFDY

frodus
05 August 2011, 0833
if you use a brushless motor, you'll have to have a controller of some sort to get much out of it. A controller would boost the voltage to the correct voltage. The problem with your motors, is that they're not likely doing anything. Have you measured the current coming from them? The voltage?

To charge a battery, you have to generate a voltage that is higher than the pack voltage. I don't think those little hobby motors (probably 12V) are doing a ton to help you. They're probably creating more drag on the vehicle than anything else, which uses more power.

Do you have a clamp-on meter? very useful for measuring if you're even charging with the solar, wing and wheel generator.

Jack Riggi
05 August 2011, 0909
Thanks Travis for your Reply. Yes I have checked the voltage coming out of them but since I'm just learning how to use any electrical meters, I'm not even quite sure how to read them or where to set them to get the right reading but I am doing better and learning every day, I hooked my harbor freight voltmeter up it said 4.8 V and up at about 16 mile an hour but I don't know if that's mv or volts. I was hoping they might work like a little trickle charger. No I don't have a clip on meter at this time, will the ones that harbor freight have be any good? I know there are the cheaper priced meters around, at about $20 but would they work good? What do you think Travis about the cheap meters they have for about $20 for the clamp on type, do you think it will be sufficient and efficient enough to work on my minibike or my Green Thang to get the information I need to find out about the voltages that my generators are putting out?

Allen_okc
05 August 2011, 0929
So Travis are you saying perpetual motion is not possible? :cool:

frodus
05 August 2011, 0934
Thanks Travis for your Reply. Yes I have checked the voltage coming out of them but since I'm just learning how to use any electrical meters, I'm not even quite sure how to read them or where to set them to get the right reading but I am doing better and learning every day, I hooked my harbor freight voltmeter up it said 4.8 V and up at about 16 mile an hour but I don't know if that's mv or volts. I was hoping they might work like a little trickle charger. No I don't have a clip on meter at this time, will the ones that harbor freight have be any good? I know there are the cheaper priced meters around, at about $20 but would they work good? What do you think Travis about the cheap meters they have for about $20 for the clamp on type, do you think it will be sufficient and efficient enough to work on my minibike or my Green Thang to get the information I need to find out about the voltages that my generators are putting out?
4.8V won't charge the batteries. The voltage has to be higher than pack voltage. What do you have in between the motor and batteries?

I don't know what harbor freight sells, post a link and I can take a look. Has to be a DC meter. Most of the cheap clamp on meters are AC only. You need one that does DC.

Jack Riggi
05 August 2011, 1942
I don't have a link for Harbor freight. But I do believe when I was looking at it when I was there last time the meters were AC and DC. It will be easier for me to go to Harbor freight and check myself then try to find the link for Harbor freight. Have you ever been to Harbor freight Travis?

frodus
06 August 2011, 1459
Yeah, great stuff there. Ought to find something there, just make sure the clamp meter can measure DC current through it.

Jack Riggi
07 August 2011, 1111
Travis, I went to Harbor freight and found a really nice little clamp on meters, at the store I looked at it and on the back it said AC and DC so I bought it, it was only $9.99 on sale. When I got home I opened it up and read the small print with a magnifying glass, directions said clamp jaws only good for AC. So I guess that at this time we won't find out how much juice my solar, wind gents, and Rear wheel generator are putting out.

billmi
07 August 2011, 1303
Jack Riggi,

You mentioned the voltage they generate when you ride at 16 mph. Are you planning to use them to trickle charge from wind power when you are parked, or from airflow while riding? If while riding they will only reduce your range, because the energy they generate can never be more than the drag they create, causing your motot to draw more power from the batteries than they are putting back in.

Travis, re: brushless motors as generators, why not just drop a regulator/rectifier on there like with a motorcycle's brushless alternator?

frodus
07 August 2011, 2117
Jack, yeah, that probably won't work for the clamp on side, but you can disconnect the motor and run it through the meter and measure with the leads.

Bill, you could, but it won't boost the voltage like a controller does. The voltage these are outputting are likely lower than the pack, so they won't push a charge.