PDA

View Full Version : Scooters from Current Motor Company -

elmotofan
07 March 2012, 2023
I realize this is a forum dedicated to Motorcycles, however, I just thought this may be of some interest to EV enthusiats.

Current motory company (http://www.currentmotor.com)has announced their Electric Maxi scooters will sell for ($10,000 to $11,500) pretty much the same price as a 2012 Zero ZF6 or Brammo's Enertia Plus(If it ever sees the light of day :mad: And unlike Brammo, Current claims that they have a factory in North (or is it South) Dakota where the scooters are being produced as we speak.

Can the technically savvy folks here on the forum comment on how this may compare to the ZF6 and Enertia Plus ? Do you think this is yet another product that will take away market share from Brammo ?

I am planning on riding this in Early April when I visit Ann Arbor. Perhaps there are others who have already taken a spin on the vehicle and care to share ?

yankee1919
07 March 2012, 2032
Hello Elmotofan,

Looks like this guys have an interest in EV motorcycles. My thought are if they diving into this world they might have introduce themselves and give us an heads up.
I would contact to give you more specifics. Maybe update they images with current pics.
Just my take.
Tony

Nuts & Volts
07 March 2012, 2130
I haven't ridden one, but I did meet and ride with one of the founders of Current Motors last summer. He was riding one of their higher end models. I am not much of a scooter guy, but I thought that it was definitely a nice looking machine. It had no problem hanging with the rest of the riding group and performed well. It looked comfortable and fairly cool for a scooter.

From talking with the founder it sounds like the company has a lot planned and really knows what direction to talk the company in. They have a great battery pack and have the start of a very well featured BMS. The motor seemed a little bit weak, but they have higher power motors and may be working on something new. It is a hub motor by the way. I can't really remember much more about the machine, but it was great meeting and chatting with the founder.

kd8cgo
08 March 2012, 0025
Was this the one that was overheating that Craig Vetter wrote about on his Challenge Results webpage? Not a knock on Current Motors by any means, I personally love the scooters - but those hub motors can be hard to cool at high power levels. I'd like to see a range of scooters, at their quoted range and speed numbers, a smaller frame urban/sub-urban scoot would be ideal! I want to make a scooter conversion for my wife, the maxi's are just too big for her (speaking about the Burgman and Honda's we've tested. The new 125cc is a perfect size for her, even the previous 150cc they scraped in 2010 was a good fit for her.

I haven't ridden one, but I did meet and ride with one of the founders of Current Motors last summer. He was riding one of their higher end models. I am not much of a scooter guy, but I thought that it was definitely a nice looking machine. It had no problem hanging with the rest of the riding group and performed well. It looked comfortable and fairly cool for a scooter.

From talking with the founder it sounds like the company has a lot planned and really knows what direction to talk the company in. They have a great battery pack and have the start of a very well featured BMS. The motor seemed a little bit weak, but they have higher power motors and may be working on something new. It is a hub motor by the way. I can't really remember much more about the machine, but it was great meeting and chatting with the founder.

teddillard
08 March 2012, 0324
There was at least one thread on Current a while back, I'll see if I can find it, but much discussion about their claim on their site at the time of one of their scooters being a motorcycle (and their use of "pass gas" in their ad copy lol) Found it, here: http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?539-Current-Motor-Company-Whoosh-Into-Production&highlight=current+scooters jdh2550 is John Harding - hasn't been on that much.

I did a post on the company in Nov. '10: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/current-motor-company-scooters-and-the-rise-of-electric-vehicles/

As far as I was able to find out, they, like Native, are pulling parts from Asia and assembling them here. Not sure how they're doing, I haven't heard from John in a long while.

John Harding, by the way, is DaveAK's brother. :D