PDA

View Full Version : anyone else missing their clutch???

ibjed
12 April 2012, 2203
I know we are all fans of the EV grin and the transmission issue is its own beast, but does anyone else miss a clutch? I'm noticing it big time in hard riding conditions. On an ice bike I can kill all drive power with the clutch and don't notice if my throttle hand is rolling back a bit due to a change in body position. (I'm talking like locking up into a corner to set up for a full throttle exit) On my EV bike, i'm "jumpy" a lot because I'm twisting just a bit and it gives me a big, torqued lurch. I've almost put myself into more than one tree lately. Another issue is that my magura throttle only has about a 45 degree range between full and zero throttle (can that be adjusted?)

The funny part about this is that other than hard riding it happens at one other time... getting the bike out of the garage, rocking the bike back and forth to get it to clear the kids bikes... a big lurch here is quite comical.

Any bikes out there using a clutch but no transmission???

moon
12 April 2012, 2347
Depending on your controller you may be able to play with the throttle curves.

EVcycle
13 April 2012, 0355
I replaced my clutch lever with the back brake removing the foot unit. Works great.

Richard230
13 April 2012, 0725
Not me. I have no problem riding without a clutch, even when I have just jumped off one of my IC bikes and on to my Zero. The difference between the feel of my gas-powered motorcycles and that of my electric motorcycle seems to reprogram the reactions and habits of the left side of my body so that that side doesn't work anymore and therefore doesn't try to grab for a nonexistent clutch lever or gearbox lever. :)

Allen_okc
13 April 2012, 0755
I replaced my clutch lever with the back brake removing the foot unit. Works great.

i did the same thing with my bike, im not sure why but it feels natural... which was the same way the scooter was set up - i didnt miss using a clutch at all...

the problem when i got on a gasser, using a clutch didnt feel right at all, and failed to use it, staling the bike...

electriKAT
13 April 2012, 0833
The first couple of times I rode mine, I reached for the non-existent clutch. But I got used to it quickly and do not miss it at all.

Can you push the bike out of your garage without turning it on? That way, throttle movement won't do anything.

DaveAK
13 April 2012, 0839
I use the clutch lever to kill the regen and allow me to coast. I haven't wired it to kill the motor if the throttle is open a little but I expect I could do that. It all comes down to preference of course but I like having a pseudo-clutch.

Zachary Rubin
13 April 2012, 1255
I use the clutch lever to kill the regen and allow me to coast. I haven't wired it to kill the motor if the throttle is open a little but I expect I could do that. It all comes down to preference of course but I like having a pseudo-clutch.

I was doing a similar thing for a while; had the clutch lever modulate regen so ,in theory, you could even get a feeling like you are feathering the clutch. In practice it didnt work so well so i just switched to a regen button. Probably could be tuned for a better feel.

For the type of functionality it i think you want (clutch in and throttle is meaningless) you could wire in a switch that either shorts out, or adds a series resistance to your throttle pot. which one will depend on your controller setting ; just dont get it wrong or you'll end up with a balls-to-the-wall lever instead

ibjed
13 April 2012, 1324
the most likely solution I've been looking at is turning the foot brake to hand operated. I like the suggestion of clutch activated throttle short??? I can get the bike out of the garage then turn it on but there are lots of times where i'm out in the woods and get into a situation where I have to get off and rock the bike or muscle it around an object, and now I've just learned to always turn it off before trying to manuver the bike.

podolefsky
13 April 2012, 1331
What motor and controller do you have? It sounds like you probably need to adjust the throttle curve and / or the ramp rate. With my Alltrax / Magura combo, I didn't have any lurching. Very smooth throttle response, from a crawl up to WOT.