PDA

View Full Version : Charger defect for 2nd time, wrong connection?

ardhout
14 September 2012, 1232
Today I connected my newly repaired battery charger for the second time to the battery pack.
When connecting the output wire, there was a little spark and charger stayed black, no LCD, no LED's :(
Did I connect the charger wrongly?
In the attached diagram, the charger is drawn at the right bottom.

podolefsky
14 September 2012, 1252
Connection looks correct in the diagram.

Are you sure the charger is getting power the AC input?

ardhout
14 September 2012, 1309
Yes, input power is OK.
Charger has just been repaired.
Before sending back, LCD & LED's worked, only the charger didn't charge as output voltage = nominal voltage batteries. Supplier made a mistake with that.
Then after a week or so, charger stopped completely. That's when I returned it.
Now after 6 weeks they've send it back, a new label on it displays the correct output voltage.
After connecting and the spark, I measured output voltage, it was 20Volt or so and decreasing, probably elco's running empty.
After that, 0 Volt.
So, or the charger was never repaired or tested well.
Or I made a mistake again in connecting or short-cutting something (hence the spark)
But all fuses are still OK, also the fuse inside the charger.
I don't like this at all because all my batteries are almost empty and I have to charge some of them manually so the result will be a totally off-balance pack later on.

frodus
14 September 2012, 1429
Did you route around the ssr? Just in case?

Doesn't the cycle analyst read current in and out of the pack? If so connect the dc-dc and charger on the other side of the shunt.

Consider a separate connection foe charger to battery. Don't connect near the dc-dc due to noise. Each should have their own run.

ardhout
14 September 2012, 2328
Did you route around the ssr? Just in case?
Yes, output of SSR was OK

Doesn't the cycle analyst read current in and out of the pack? If so connect the dc-dc and charger on the other side of the shunt.
Ok, but which advantage has that? Does the DC/DC converter gets a higher voltage then?

Consider a separate connection foe charger to battery. Don't connect near the dc-dc due to noise. Each should have their own run.
What do you mean with "foe charger"? Physically, the converter and charger are located away from each other, and what do you mean with "their own run"? wire?

frodus
15 September 2012, 1115
The advantage is, the CA measures current into and out of the pack. You're only measuring current out of the pack. SO when you charge, it's not looking at current going into the pack. You also won't be measuring the current draw of the DC-DC.

foe was a typo, I meant the. I type on a phone most times I post.

You should have the + and - of the charger go directly to the batteries. with their own wires, not shared like you show on the schematic at the node near the DC-DC. The DC-DC should have it's own wires to the battery pack. There could be noise issues from the DC-DC that interfere with the charger and separating with their own connections can help lessen that interference.

Can you disconnect everything from the pack and see if it charges with only pack + charger?