PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Motor

furyphoto
09 November 2012, 2325
I'm trying to work out components for MY BUILD (http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2619-Electric-Hurricane-1987-CBR600-F1-Conversion), so I figured I would focus on the motor first.

I've looked at what other are using, and it seems to me that the best bang for my buck at the moment is this Mars/Motenergy ME1003 and Altrax 7245 combo from EVDrives

http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/ck-1003-1.htm

Is there any reason to doubt this combination, or can I just consider it decision made?

I also find conflicting specs on the 1003 some places say 3050 max rpm , and I have also seen 5000. Can anyone tell me the actual loaded RPM at 72 volts that I should enter into the Elmoto Calculator 2.18?

EVcycle
10 November 2012, 0637
The ME1003 is a very good motor. We are running it in the Cafe racer and have it up to 4000 RPM at 80V (loaded)
72 would be more like 3400 RPM. (depending on your voltage drop and load)

Not sure I would go much higher on the RPM.

teddillard
10 November 2012, 0705
I'm running that motor too, and love it! On the Mount Washington run it didn't even get warm. I had the ME0709 (which did get pretty toasty) and the Briggs ETEK (which got hot, and didn't have the low-end torque), and this thing is better. I should note: I ♥ wheelies. :)

bugeyebug
10 November 2012, 0725
I purchased the same motor and controller combo. EV Drives was a great company to work with on the purchase, btw. They shipped VERY quickly upon receipt of order, and everything arrived well packaged and in great shape.

I've also found lots of conflicting web info on the allowable, max, and recommended shaft speed of the motor. I currently have installed a 4:1 rear:front sprocket ratio. At 3100 rpm it calcs out to 60mph top speed. I'll be running a 76V nominal battery system.

I'm getting close to having all the mechanical hardware mounted up, and should be able to report on how it works by the end of the year.

For those interested, I'm documenting the build on my blog: http://evmotorcycle.blogspot.com/ (I'm traveling a lot this month, so posts are at best 1x per week until December)...

teddillard
10 November 2012, 0737
Coincidentally, John just sent me some shots of his new brush holder design:
http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/motenergy-new-brush-holder/

...which all of his new motors in stock are equipped with.

furyphoto
13 November 2012, 1224
The ME1003 is a very good motor. We are running it in the Cafe racer and have it up to 4000 RPM at 80V (loaded)
72 would be more like 3400 RPM. (depending on your voltage drop and load)

Not sure I would go much higher on the RPM.

Ed: Is 80v your nominal voltage? your evalbum page says 86v. I am trying to get my head around the specs on your bike, because I can't get the EValbum numbers to add up. You have a demonstrated top speed of 102mph, but the math on your gear ratio and the max motor speed of 4000rpm only get to about 85-90 depending on the size of your wheel. And that's just the gear ratio math, not accounting for drag, or anything else.

Are you pushing the motor past 4000 for short bursts for your top speed? I don't need anywhere near 102mph, I would like a useable 75mph for passing in short bursts. I am just trying to get a sense of real world performance, so I can design my system so it meets my expected specs.

I'm running that motor too, and love it! On the Mount Washington run it didn't even get warm. I had the ME0709 (which did get pretty toasty) and the Briggs ETEK (which got hot, and didn't have the low-end torque), and this thing is better. I should note: I ♥ wheelies. :)

Ted: What about the pack voltage, sprocket ratio, and speed performance of your R5e? Can you share a bit?

I purchased the same motor and controller combo. EV Drives was a great company to work with on the purchase, btw. They shipped VERY quickly upon receipt of order, and everything arrived well packaged and in great shape.

I've also found lots of conflicting web info on the allowable, max, and recommended shaft speed of the motor. I currently have installed a 4:1 rear:front sprocket ratio. At 3100 rpm it calcs out to 60mph top speed. I'll be running a 76V nominal battery system.

I'm getting close to having all the mechanical hardware mounted up, and should be able to report on how it works by the end of the year.

For those interested, I'm documenting the build on my blog: http://evmotorcycle.blogspot.com/ (I'm traveling a lot this month, so posts are at best 1x per week until December)...

Bugeye: Thanks for your input, I read your whole blog the other night, I will be paying attention, and will be really interested to see your real world results.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

EVcycle
13 November 2012, 1307
"Ed: Is 80v your nominal voltage? your evalbum page says 86v. I am trying to get my head around the specs on your bike, because I can't get the EValbum numbers to add up. You have a demonstrated top speed of 102mph, but the math on your gear ratio and the max motor speed of 4000rpm only get to about 85-90 depending on the size of your wheel. And that's just the gear ratio math, not accounting for drag, or anything else.

Are you pushing the motor past 4000 for short bursts for your top speed? I don't need anywhere near 102mph, I would like a useable 75mph for passing in short bursts. I am just trying to get a sense of real world performance, so I can design my system so it meets my expected specs."

I guess I need to update my EV Album.

We have DONE 102MPH but that was with a 20 tooth front sprocket and a very long road. My normal around town setup is a 15 front and it will do 75 top speed. This is a very light ride too. All of these items make a difference.

We charge to 94 volts and then it settles to 88 volts. (That will be changed soon as well.)

Ed

furyphoto
13 November 2012, 1322
We have DONE 102MPH but that was with a 20 tooth front sprocket and a very long road. My normal around town setup is a 15 front and it will do 75 top speed. This is a very light ride too. All of these make a difference.

Ed

We charge to 94 volts and them it settles to 88 volts. (That will be changed soon as well.)

Ah, makes much more sense now! I am considering an 88.8 nominal Li-po pack for this build with that motor, it's good to see someone is successfully running the motor at a similar voltage. Most of my riding would be well below the top speed. I am targeting a curb weight of <=350lbs, we will see. (plus I am small and light!)

furyphoto
17 May 2013, 1809
After a bunch of research, I will definitely go with my first choice, the Alltrax 7245 and the Mars ME 1003. I will be looking to build a pack that gets to a resting voltage of just under the max limit of 90v on the controller. I picked up a 7245 today.

furyphoto
28 October 2013, 1639
Got a chance to quickly hook up my controller and throttle, and get them talking to my computer today. I was optimistically confidant but nervous because it is a used controller & throttle, but all looks good (so far). Small victories!

Those of you using an AXE 7245, what throttle curve are you using?

https://www.elmoto.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5091&d=1383003349

EVcycle
29 October 2013, 0745
.Resting voltage at 90V (or just under) is good, but you may (like I have) wait several hours after the charging as the topped off voltage will be higher. The controller will not let you ride until it gets below 90.

furyphoto
29 October 2013, 0812
.Resting voltage at 90V (or just under) is good, but you may (like I have) wait several hours after the charging as the topped off voltage will be higher. The controller will not let you ride until it gets below 90.
I was thinking about some sort of manual bleed circuit if needed to take the top off the charge. Put the headlight on a manual switch maybe? or perhaps something more sophisticated.

EVcycle
29 October 2013, 0827
A 90V headlight? :)

podolefsky
29 October 2013, 1125
Headlight is actually a good idea. Even if it's on the 12V side of the dc-dc, it will draw about 60W from the high V side. That should bring the voltage down more quickly.

furyphoto
29 October 2013, 2034
A 90V headlight? :)

They'll see me coming! ;)

robo
29 October 2013, 2117
Those of you using an AXE 7245, what throttle curve are you using?

Fwiw, I'm using the "inductive" curve. I originally tried the "custom" curve that came on it from evdrives. That had a real gradual starting slope which required twisting my throttle a lot to start.

The inductive curve has a steeper start and that worked better for me, but your mileage may vary...

furyphoto
28 November 2013, 2321
Unfortunately there seem to be no Black Friday deals at EV Drives, bummer.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on my Motor and accessories. I already have a AXE 7245 Controller, Magura throttle, and contactor. I figure I will source cables and lugs and stuff locally. Here's my shopping cart, am I leaving out anything obvious in my excitement?

EDIT: Too late, it's bought, and on the way! :D

http://www.andrewdoran.com/proofs/MyPrecious/EVDrives-order.jpg

furyphoto
30 November 2013, 1053
SO, this decision is done and made! Although it was probably the easiest of the project.

The Motenergy ME1003 and Alltrax 7245 controller is a great combination for a 1.0 build.

Plenty of torque and a decent top speed with a 72-90 volt power pack and the right gearing.

I still have to choose batteries, a decision on which I keep jumping back and forth. But I' working on a new battery cage idea that might help make the decision. more to come in soon in my battery thread (https://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php?2980-Choosing-my-Battery-Pack!).

podolefsky
30 November 2013, 1114
Sweet!

Might already know, the 90V limit on the Alltrax is an absolute limit. Your pack can't be above that - for example, a 28S lifepo4 will be 89.6V nominal, but 102V straight off the charger and ~95V after it comes to rest. With lifepo4, 26S is about the most you can do. That's what Ed does, waits for the cells to come down some and then the controller will turn on.

furyphoto
30 November 2013, 1122
Sweet!

Might already know, the 90V limit on the Alltrax is an absolute limit. Your pack can't be above that - for example, a 28S lifepo4 will be 89.6V nominal, but 102V straight off the charger and ~95V after it comes to rest. With lifepo4, 26S is about the most you can do. That's what Ed does, waits for the cells to come down some and then the controller will turn on.

Yep, 26 is what I was thinking of, or 22s RC lipo