PDA

View Full Version : Brammo switching motors on the Empulse

Richard230
18 February 2013, 0912
Now here is some interesting Brammo Empulse news: http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1867.0;topicseen

It looks like Brammo will be using a different motor on the standard Empulse. The Empulse R uses a Parker motor developing something like 54 hp and 60 lb-ft of torque. However, it appears that the standard Empulse will have a SMRE (the Italian makers of the Empulse's transmission) motor making about the same power but having a lower peak torque of around 40 lb-ft. Very curious. I can only imagine that the change is either being made due to cost considerations, availability of the Parker motor, or due to some sort of contract agreement between Brammo and SMRE. :confused:

If it was me and I planned to buy an Empulse, I think I would spring for the additional two grand just to get the proven Parker motor, with its higher torque output. I also suspect that the "R" model will bring a much higher resale value in the future than the base model, certainly exceeding the $2K difference in the "R" and standard versions' initial prices.

jazclrint
18 February 2013, 1218
Now here is some interesting Brammo Empulse news: http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1867.0;topicseen

It looks like Brammo will be using a different motor on the standard Empulse. The Empulse R uses a Parker motor developing something like 54 hp and 60 lb-ft of torque. However, it appears that the standard Empulse will have a SMRE (the Italian makers of the Empulse's transmission) motor making about the same power but having a lower peak torque of around 40 lb-ft. Very curious. I can only imagine that the change is either being made due to cost considerations, availability of the Parker motor, or due to some sort of contract agreement between Brammo and SMRE. :confused:

If it was me and I planned to buy an Empulse, I think I would spring for the additional two grand just to get the proven Parker motor, with its higher torque output. I also suspect that the "R" model will bring a much higher resale value in the future than the base model, certainly exceeding the $2K difference in the "R" and standard versions' initial prices.

Hmm, I've followed this for a while. I think Brian was talking about it on the forum right before the Empulse Rs started being delivered back at the beginning of December. The SMRE motor was originally suppose to come with both bikes, but since May they have got the Parker motor up to speed (with the same peak [edit] power) and have upgraded the R with the Parker motor. I kind of wonder if Zero's announcment of the 68ft-lb peak for their motor in the 2013 S gave them the extra oomph to bring the Parker to the production line. But, after a conversation with a 3rd party, I think the Brammo team was so busy with the Empulse they didn't have time to pay much attention to the Zero release.

Barron
20 February 2013, 0759
Comparing torque figures is meaningless without knowing a) the maximum RPM of the SMRE motor compared to the Parker, b) how it makes torque across it's the RPM range.

If the max RPM of the SMRE is 50% higher than the Parker, and the shape of the torque curve across the RPM range is the same, then they should perform similarly.

If the max RPM is the same, then it probably is gutless in comparison to the Parker.

Richard230
20 February 2013, 0826
My recollection is that the Parker motor spins to 8000 rpm, with claimed max efficiency being somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 rpm. If the SMRE spins faster than that, I would be really impressed.

Attached, for reference, is the dyno curve for the motor used in my 2012 Zero S

jazclrint
21 February 2013, 1925
Yes, the power curves are different, but don't know how. So far I have heard that the R doesn't get full torque until 5000rpm and peak power comes at the 8300ish rev limit.

Richard230
22 February 2013, 0835
As someone who once owned a 1968 Garelli 125, I have always been a little suspicious about Italian engine horsepower claims. Garelli claimed that my 125 made 15.3 hp (which made it legal for riding on the freeway at that time). However, 8 hp (claimed) Honda Super 90's of that era would blow me off from a stop and had a slightly higher top speed. My opinion is that Italians tend to exaggerate occasionally. But they do get their styling right.