PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Brammo Empulse announced

Richard230
03 February 2014, 0838
I just received this message regarding the 2014 Empulse models. Nothing about prices or about the 2014 Enertia line, though"

Brammo Announces 2014 Empulse - the World’s Fastest Electric Motorcycle in Serial Production.

Brammo is pleased to announce its 2014 Empulse and Empulse R. With its unique water cooled motor, six speed gearbox and integrated J1772 rapid charging, the Empulse remains as the market leader in the category.
A top speed of 110mph (177kph) and a 3kW onboard charger means the Brammo Empulse retains its crown as the world’s fastest electric motorcycle in serial production both riding and charging.

The 2014 Empulse embodies many new and improved components making it an EV technology tour de force. Fully 10lbs of weight is removed from the Empulse, further improving performance, handling, and range.
With the ground-breaking IET integrated 6-speed transmission, the Empulse is able to translate its 90Nm (66 lb-ft) of electric motor torque to over 880Nm (650 ft-lbs) at the rear wheel. That’s enough forward thrust to relegate direct-drive competitors to the rear view mirrors and compel the motorcycling press to compare the substantial performance to that of 650cc twin class motorcycles.

Of course performance isn’t everything, and so the Empulse also boasts an impressive 438 MPGe (MPG electric equivalency) (.54 litre/100km-e) fuel economy, making the Empulse a smart move from a cost of ownership perspective as one of the cheapest motorcycles on the planet to refuel.

Craig Bramscher, Founder and CEO of Brammo said ”Our customers expect Brammo to design and produce the world’s most desirable, high performance electric motorcycles and that’s exactly what we do.” Bramscher continued, “Today’s announcement underlines our commitment to listen to our customers and continually improve our products.”

During 2014 the award winning Empulse and Empulse R will become available in the United States, Canada, Europe (including the United Kingdom), and in Asia. Brammo’s ever growing dealer network and service capability ensure that our high levels of customer service will be maintained as the company scales up its international operations.

Brammo’s new 100,000 sq ft (9290 m2) campus in Southern Oregon is home to the world’s largest electric motorcycle facility, both the Brammo Power BPM15/90 battery packs and the 2014 Brammo Empulse are designed and assembled in Southern Oregon.

More detail of the new Empulse is provided at this link: http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

The bike certainly looks well designed and manufactured. A noticeable step-up from the Zero, with its lower-spec parts and assembly. Nice job Brammo. :)

Richard230
03 February 2014, 0909
You would feature Shelina over the Empulse when selecting your photo of the Empulse, Ted. :D

Regarding the selection of chassis components and tires on a $16,000 + motorcycle, it seems to me that when you reach that price range and above, it is worth paying a little extra to get top-spec components, such as name-brand tires and suspension and radial Brembo brake calipers. But then I do appreciate quality and am willing to pay for it. At this stage of production electric motorcycle development, there is no point in being a cheapskate.

jazclrint
03 February 2014, 1801
In chatting with Brian last year I really had no reason to believe they would come up with anything more than some minor updates (didn't stop me though ;) ). I think they have just learned their lesson about releasing new bikes before they're ready. An interesting point that John Marshall brought up was that he felt much better as a 2013 owner that he updates were mild. I still think they are working on a much bigger bike for 2015. Also, Brian has confirmed that they think in more of a two or three year model cycle, much like what we should be seeing from Zero now. In some ways it's a shame because the SR is gonna put a hurt on the Empulse R on the drag strip. But there's always next year.

protomech
04 February 2014, 0318
Here are the components changed in the "appearance only" update.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/9ybese8a.jpg

However, as far as the appearance changes go, this is the coolest one.

http://brammoelectricmotorcycles.smugmug.com/photos/i-QWQjKPZ/0/M/i-QWQjKPZ-M.jpg

protomech
04 February 2014, 0422
The top photo was posted to Brammo's HK facebook. I thought it was a neat shot.

They've touched almost everything on the bike save the frame, wheels, suspension, and powertrain. It's certainly not a huge update, but it's bigger than Zero's 2014 update (save the SR).

Yeah, I know how they could save 35 pounds too.. but I'd rather they take 35 pounds away then add another 10-20 pounds to another component : p

Regardless of what Brammo claims, global availability isn't a feature of the 2014 bikes, but rather the latest push in their distribution strategy. They've signed up a fairly epic number of European dealers.. I hope this works out better for them than their distribution strategies in the past.

http://www.brammo.com/store-locator/

The dash loses the shift indicators, and the enclosure is new, but the display looks the same. There were a handful of reports of failures of the old dash, which I believe dates back to the 2008 Enertia.

Not sure about the tank and seat. Every review has slammed Brammo for the seat (no room to move, poor padding) .. so perhaps they have reworked it.

There's a different set of handlebars for the R vs E1 now. I don't think Brammo offers an official set of clip-ons, but several owners have installed them separately.

BrammoBrian claims the Contis are better all-round tires and a bit lighter. The Avons are reportedly treacherous in the wet, I'm curious if these perform better. Speaking of weight loss: 10 pounds isn't much on a 470 pound bike.. but that's easily a decade of development in ICEland : )

protomech
04 February 2014, 0438
No doubt the SR is a stupendously quick bike.. and despite the gnashing of teeth from a few people over low SOC during a test, it ought to be markedly quicker than the Empulse in a straight line.

Maybe it's just because we've seen owners installing the Size 6 sevcon for a couple of years now, but I'm not exactly blown away when Zero finally offers it as a factory part and charges $2k more for a ~$200 cost delta part that should have been stock on the 2013 S.

Or maybe that's why I know nothing about business.

jonescg
04 February 2014, 0457
Wow, you can buy a production electric motorcycle in your country? Amazing.

Spoonman
04 February 2014, 0515
Wow, you can buy a production electric motorcycle in your country? Amazing.

lol - I hear ya dude - not a hope of getting anything here either (not that I'd be inclined to fork out ~€18k rather than do my own build anyway).

protomech
04 February 2014, 0556
Zero has announced Australian distribution again, fwiw.

http://motorbikewriter.com/zero-electric-motorcycles-coming-australia/

Richard230
04 February 2014, 0842
According to BrammoBrian the instrument display was improved for 2014 to address waterproofing issues during North Wet winters - and summers. I seem to recall that they also made some other cosmetic modifications to the panel. While the 2014 changes are all relatively minor improvements, that does indicate that the original Empulse models were well developed and don't appear to require major upgrades to make their owners happy. Plus, minor revisions like this do help to increase resale values for current owners, as their bikes are not being shoved under the second-hand bus by a new model that is substantially improved, such as what happened to the value of the 2010 and 2011 Zeros when the 2012 models came out and to a lesser extent to the 2012 models when the 2013 line was announced.

I spent about 30 minutes speaking with my enthusiastic Zero salesperson last week and she told me that she was very happy to have Brammo as a competitor and is wishing them success. They want the EV industry to advance in the market and having more than one manufacturer of electric motorcycles helps to improve competition and advance the technology.

Regarding Brammo prices Ted, I did notice them later in the day, but my fingers were jammed up yesterday and the ink spool on my 1952 Underwood 5 (that my former workplace gave me when I retired) had run out and needed to be replaced, so I was afraid to type any more and correct my error. :o

SplinterOz
04 February 2014, 2011
Wonderful news!!! and by March 2014!

Zero has announced Australian distribution again, fwiw.

http://motorbikewriter.com/zero-electric-motorcycles-coming-australia/

carboncanyon
12 February 2014, 0713
I rode the Empulse for the first time at Sturgis of all places. While I did a brisk run it started to sprinkle a bit, and those Avon tires were absolutely horrible. I think those Conti's will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk