PDA

View Full Version : Brammo Empulse: What do you guys think?

jazclrint
04 October 2010, 2135
There seems to be very little discussion on this site about the new Empulse, and I'm sure Brammo is keen to hear our thoughts.

So in a relatively organized manner lets share what we think. I'll start:

Looks:
Awesome!

Color:
I definitely prefer the red. The black looks too blah.

Fairings, or lack there of:
Being a spoiled VFR rider, and prefer a protective yet sporty fairing for daily commuting to help protect me from rain and cold weather. Especially where most every where I have lived, I've had to use the interstate to get to work.

Range:
Seems good to me, but I'd always like more. I can milk 200 miles out of my VFR traveling, and 150 commuting. But, as always charge time vs tank filing time means the Empulse makes a great commuter, but I'll need to keep the VFR for rallies, all day, and two up rides.

Does it replace your current bike?:
It means my next bike will not be a VFR1200F, and my '91 will be around for a while. It will replace my 500 Interceptor though, as it has the same horse power, but way more tourque. More than my VFR even.

What model will you chose?
I think I'll chose the 8.0. My current commute is 23 miles, with over 15 being interstate miles. This gets me to work and back, at a (ahem) fun pace, with range left to stop for errands on the way home. The extra $2k for the extra 20 miles isn't worth it for me, as a 100 mile range followed by a 12 hour charge time means I won't really be using it for weekend rides to the twisties anyway. Also, the 8.0 has half the projected charge time on a series 2 charger as the 10.0 has. Not sure those will be in Maine any time soon, but waiting an hour and a half extra for only 20 miles doesn't seem worth it.

Overall:
Awesomeness! I WANT ONE! I'm going to have to get a better paying job.

Additional comments:

Rich

Richard230
05 October 2010, 0822
I have pre-ordered an Empulse 10.0 and my order will not vaporize when the bike becomes available (I have already saved up the loot). I like the styling, but given a choice, I would prefer the batteries to be covered with a fairing and the bars to be taller. Hopefully, Brammo will offer some factory options which will include those items as well as some soft luggage and maybe a rear rack - as I am more of a practical than a sporty type person.

Brammofan
05 October 2010, 0858
Brammo has indicated that regular handlebars will be standard, with the clip-ons (that the prototype has) being an option. Not sure about the fairings issue or the luggage/rack. I know that saddlebags have been an on-again off-again item with Brammo... my fellow Enertia owners are waiting for the new bags to appear in the online store.

I've got an Empulse 10.0 on order.

jazclrint
05 October 2010, 0912
I am more concerned about fairings. I have read that Brammo is thinking about fairings ala 12.0 RR, but is waiting for input from the public. Quality bars and bags can be bought aftermarket in a style that suits your needs best, so that was never much of a concern of mine.

Brammofan
05 October 2010, 1139
I am more concerned about fairings. I have read that Brammo is thinking about fairings ala 12.0 RR, but is waiting for input from the public.
Really? Where did you read this? And where are we supposed to give our input? If you have a link, that would be awesome.

jazclrint
05 October 2010, 1414
Really? Where did you read this? And where are we supposed to give our input? If you have a link, that would be awesome.

Crap. I'm at work. I'll try to did up where i read it. I've read it a few times (I've been cramming a summer's worth of news and racing into a few late nights). I don't think there was any particular place to leave the input, although the FullEmpulse blog mentioned a poll on color preference. Apparently Black won, but I have no idea why. That's kind of why I started this thread. I know Brammo Brian reads this forum from time to time at least. I figured it was a good, fun thread to start for all involved.

Brammofan
05 October 2010, 1512
the FullEmpulse blog mentioned a poll on color preference. Apparently Black won, but I have no idea why. Actually, it was the Empulsebuyer.com blog:
http://www.empulsebuyer.com/?p=170

jazclrint
05 October 2010, 2103

I found this first: "Bramscher said the naked streetfighter look was chosen as a response to customer requests, adding that later models could be faired." http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2011-brammo-empulse-preview-89773.htm

"There’s also been a lot of feedback regarding adding an optional small “bikini” fairing in the front or a full front fairing” (emphasis added)."
http://fullempulse.com/joe-public-asks-brammo-answers/

I can't find the article I remember reading so I have to withdraw my statement. But the full empulse post shows they are listening and there is a lot of discussion about fairings on the Brammo Owners site.

jazclrint
05 October 2010, 2103
Actually, it was the Empulsebuyer.com blog:
http://www.empulsebuyer.com/?p=170

Thanks for the correction.

socaltech
06 October 2010, 0912
ill take mine just the way it is :)

In Black :)

Richard230
06 October 2010, 1447
It is a funny thing. For as long as I can remember, black motorcycles have always been the most popular color - or at least that is what surveys have always said over the years. Personally, I prefer a bright color, such as red, yellow, or lime green - something that shows up better in dense fog and in urban traffic. But then some people might say that I don't have much taste. (I am hoping that is what the next bear that I meet thinks, too.)

dsantolo
06 October 2010, 1648
10.0 on order
Being a commuter, I will be engaging in getting a rear rack set up to put the adapter on for my V46 GIVI box. Ride position will be adjusted once I see what Brammo really releases. I'm not quite as large as Craig, but almost as tall and I don't need my knees in my mouth, nor do I want to submit to wrist pain to ride the bike. So, like the guy with the VFR, I will keep and continue to enjoy my current ICE bike, and I'll find a way to make the Empulse work out for the commute. I really like the fact that we're leading the way for even cooler stuff later due to Brammo's hunger for customer feedback!

socaltech
06 October 2010, 1841
I'm not quite as large as Craig, but almost as tall and I don't need my knees in my mouth, nor do I want to submit to wrist pain to ride the bike.

Im 6' 4" and on the prototype i actually fit really well, ill adjust the footpegs but everything else was perfect

ApriliaWPNC
07 October 2010, 0808
I sure like the performance figures for the Empulse but right now it doesn't look like it will be capable of any storage. That will definitly prevent it from being practical for commuting. The fact that it doesn't have a parking brake is another reason. When are electric motorcycle manufacturers going to realize that the world isn't completely flat? I just don't get it. There are a lot of driveways around where I live in NC that you can't park an electric motorcycle in without worrying about it rolling into the street.

billmi
07 October 2010, 0901
I sure like the performance figures for the Empulse but right now it doesn't look like it will be capable of any storage.That will definitly prevent it from being practical for commuting.

I could be missing something, but I didn't see anything that made it incompatible with a backpack, which is the common storage used in this neck of the woods for sport bikes used as commuters. Most on-bike storage for commuters (sadlebags, trunks, etc.) is usually an option or aftermarket upgrade, not a part of the stock bike, even on cruisers and dual sports.

Brammofan
07 October 2010, 0950
The fact that it doesn't have a parking brake is another reason. When are electric motorcycle manufacturers going to realize that the world isn't completely flat? I just don't get it. There are a lot of driveways around where I live in NC that you can't park an electric motorcycle in without worrying about it rolling into the street.

In the rare situation where I need a parking brake, I just use a velcro strap around the front brake lever. I use two such straps to keep my electrical cord coiled neatly under the seat. I use one of them, and have only had to do this one time.

But I could see that having a "real" parking brake might be a nice option.

teddillard
07 October 2010, 1006
Yeah, for sure. Stuff like the Velcro workaround and the cord issues you see in the Enertia aren't gonna cut it for the broader non-DIY market. Especially for that kind of money.

electrician
07 October 2010, 1227
The more stuff that Brammo adds to the bike the more it weighs, therefore the lessening of performance and range.
I prefer a clean bike and carry needed items in a backpack - at least for short runs.
Longer runs on my ICE bike (which aren't practical yet on electric bikes) I have saddle bags, etc.
I am still going back and forth on the Brammo Empulse 10.0 and building my own from a GPR-S kit.

Richard230
07 October 2010, 1456
Maybe Brammo could offer official Empulse backpack luggage. :D

But I concur with the Electrician, when adding accessories you really have to pick and choose. Only get stuff that is functional and light. You should see the junk added to BMWs. Some people add so much stuff you can hardly see the bike any more. I'll bet is all weighs a good percentage of the motorcycle's weight and probably costs a similar percentage of the original vehicle cost.

However, there is money to be made in stylish accessories (just ask Harley and Ducati), so Brammo ought to get some Italians working on that. ;)

BrammoBrian
09 October 2010, 1217
Thanks for all the valuable input! As you can tell, it is very difficult to make everyone happy and fulfill the individual needs of every customer, but we are doing our best to take all of these suggestions into account during development. Yes - standard accessories will be offered to address several of the concerns raised here... storage, ergonomics, etc...

Also good points regarding adding weight to the bike. As many of you have realized through your own builds, mass of the vehicle has an emphasized effect on performance with electric as we're all trying to extract the maximum performance out of the smallest amount of battery (the thing that costs the most)...

Richard230
09 October 2010, 1427
While I was riding around today, it occurred to me that a Brammo Empulse leather jacket with a big bright day-glow reflective lightning bolt on the back would look pretty cool.