PDA

View Full Version : Help need with a misbehaving Alltrax Axe 7245

kiwibob
17 August 2016, 2133
Hi folks,
So I've been happily riding my old ninja (here (http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4009)) to work and back, but recently the controller has started acting up, and simply not working sometimes. It'll always boot to a green LED, but often there's simply no drive to the motor. It's been off the road for a couple of weeks while I rewired it (you should've seen some of the mess that the person left when they originally converted it), though my problems started before I made any wiring changes. Yesterday when I'd finished the wiring, the controller seemed pretty solid for the last few boots, and I did a solid test ride last night, but I tried riding to work this morning and got about 2km before it died, I had to switch it off and on again about 20 times before I got drive.
I'm looking for advice on where I should start looking. It baffles me because it always seems to boot without any fault codes, but then zero throttle response. It has a pretty new Domino throttle. Are there any diagnostic tools in the config software? I've never run it because it was set up pretty well when I got it, and I don't have a serial cable handy...
Cheers!
Steve.

zerous
18 August 2016, 0045
Hi folks,
So I've been happily riding my old ninja (here (http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4009)) to work and back, but recently the controller has started acting up, and simply not working sometimes. It'll always boot to a green LED, but often there's simply no drive to the motor. It's been off the road for a couple of weeks while I rewired it (you should've seen some of the mess that the person left when they originally converted it), though my problems started before I made any wiring changes. Yesterday when I'd finished the wiring, the controller seemed pretty solid for the last few boots, and I did a solid test ride last night, but I tried riding to work this morning and got about 2km before it died, I had to switch it off and on again about 20 times before I got drive.
I'm looking for advice on where I should start looking. It baffles me because it always seems to boot without any fault codes, but then zero throttle response. It has a pretty new Domino throttle. Are there any diagnostic tools in the config software? I've never run it because it was set up pretty well when I got it, and I don't have a serial cable handy...
Cheers!
Steve.

For me it sounds like a problem with throttle signal. In Alltrax Controller Pro software Monitor tab you can see how much throttle controller get. So buy a serial cable and check it next when you have problem.

See page 13 here http://alltraxinc.com/files/Doc100-003-B_OP-AXE-Operators-Manual.pdf

frodus
18 August 2016, 0841
So you have KSI likely working on pin 1, make sure that the contactor is actually closing so the controller actually gets power on B+

kiwibob
18 August 2016, 1101
For me it sounds like a problem with throttle signal. In Alltrax Controller Pro software Monitor tab you can see how much throttle controller get. So buy a serial cable and check it next when you have problem.

See page 13 here http://alltraxinc.com/files/Doc100-003-B_OP-AXE-Operators-Manual.pdf

Ah, I didn't realise (lazy) that the config interface shows inputs in real time. I'll pick up a serial cable this afternoon and dig into it. Thanks for the advice!

kiwibob
18 August 2016, 1103
So you have KSI likely working on pin 1, make sure that the contactor is actually closing so the controller actually gets power on B+

I was assuming that since I had a green LED that the controller had all the inputs it needed. Is that not the case? Thanks for the reply.

frodus
18 August 2016, 1430
The controller doesn't control the Contactor, you do, so I'd check that first.

kiwibob
18 August 2016, 2301
The controller doesn't control the Contactor, you do, so I'd check that first.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Now I can't get it to fail again. I'll keep trying. After about ten minutes of being powered, the contractor is too hot to touch. Think I'll get another one on order anyway. Can you recommend a supplier?

frodus
19 August 2016, 0754
What voltage for the coil do you want? Do you have 12VDC?

I can point you the right way, depending.

kiwibob
19 August 2016, 1023
I do have 12VDC, though the current one runs on pack voltage. Here's the existing one:
I'm actually running at 90V pack voltage. One of the legs on my contactor bypass resistor broke a couple of weeks ago, so it may have been arcing, maybe that's contributed to its failure.

frodus
19 August 2016, 2141
If there's no precharge resistor connected, then you arc every time you close that contactor as the batteries charge up the capacitors in the controller. That causes pitting and debris that makes the contacts dirty.

The contactor will work with about 90VDC max, so it's likely fine for the coil. The issue is likely that it either isn't closing all the way, or it is closing but the contacts are dirty.

All of this is my experienced guess, but the dropping from time to time points that way. It's much cheaper than replacing a controller.

kiwibob
03 September 2016, 1400
So I couldn't get the drive to fail again, but finally replaced the contactor today anyway. Initially it went fine (though I haven't ridden it), but now the bike won't run again. the contactor is definitely closing and I'm measuring pack voltage on the input to the controller, but no drive.

I'm back to suspecting the controller.

Also - I bought the serial connector to connect to the controller, but it wasn't working very well. I don't know if the fault was with the controller of my USB -> serial adapter, but It would only seem to connect properly every now and then.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the advice!

Steve.

4dollarjoe
07 September 2016, 1129
Are you using a heavy duty kill-switch?

I got one of those cheap $30 ones from china that require you to pull in order to disconnect. I've noticed that sometimes the button goes down, but doesn't properly seat the copper bus-bar that's in the switch. I had a major issue with not starting my bike, only to find out the killswitch was the main culprit. I suggest wiggling it around and trying to force it down, then see if the bike starts up.

nucciosan
06 February 2017, 0801
Sorry for my question, is 90V the maximum voltage of battery pack or it is nominal voltage?
Do you know that 90V is the maximum working voltage of AXE 72xx Alltrax controllers?
I fear that the controller suffered an overvoltage.

Best wishes
Nuccio

frodus
06 February 2017, 1250
90V is the max working voltage on the AXE controllers. Do not exceed that voltage.

zerous
06 February 2017, 1329
I charge one of my motorcycles to 90.3V ( 11 leaf modules) - level charger stops. It works well. Can it be any problem?

I measure 90.3 on pack, but Alltrax software says it 89.9V.

frodus
06 February 2017, 1553
Could it work? maybe.

The AXE lists a max of 90V. How much overhead there is, I'm not sure.

Can you adjust the charger down a half a volt?

nedfunnell
11 February 2017, 1410
I have accidentally overcharged my batteries slightly when I forgot that I adjusted my DIY charger trimpot up to speed up my last few Ah of charging. It got up over 92v. The AXE would not power on at that point, it was blinking a code I presume to be over-voltage shutdown. I bled off the extra charge (Quickly!) with a resistive load until I got it to 91 point something and took off for a short ride. It's been working fine since then. Just yesterday I took off from a ride with a fresh charge at 91.1v (as displayed on my CA2) and had no problems. So it seems that the AXE has a little bit of wiggle room, and that it goes into a safe self-protect mode if you go over (at least the little bit that I did).