PDA

View Full Version : SOC Meters

billmi
17 August 2010, 1055
Most DC clamp-on ammeters with high enough range seem to be priced around $100 and up, which is about half the price of SOC meters I've been looking at, making their extra features, and the convenience of a "Gas guage" type display pretty appealing.

So far, I've been considering the EV Display (http://www.cleanpowerauto.com/MiniBMS.html) and Cycle Analyst (http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml). Any others worth taking a good look at, and anyone have experience/feedback with either of these. Off-hand I prefer the idea of the EV Display's hall effect sensor measuring current in and out of the battery directly, rather than needing to drop in a shunt and tapping in between the motor and controller (which doesn't account for energy used for things like the headlight).

magicsmoke
17 August 2010, 1457
Off-hand I prefer the idea of the EV Display's hall effect sensor measuring current in and out of the battery directly, rather than needing to drop in a shunt and tapping in between the motor and controller (which doesn't account for energy used for things like the headlight).

I've never used either of these but a quick shooftie at the Cycle Analyst datasheet looks like the shunt goes between the battery and the controller. If you were to take your dc/dc converter (lights etc) input from the same point as the controller input then the CA will monitor both. The extra current draw of the converter is negligible with regard to the CA current limit settings etc.

Rob

harlan
17 August 2010, 1757
I have never used the EV Display but I can attest to the quality of Dimitri's product as well as his commitment to customer support. I have installed the MiniBMS on a couple of motorcycles and he has been quick to respond when I have questions.

I use the Cycle Analyst and I highly recommend it. You do need to calibrate it properly but once you've got that taken care of its so easy to use and tells you everything you want and more.

billmi
23 August 2010, 1017
Magicsmoke, you're dead right, I must have remembered the schematic wrong.
Harlan, thanks for the recommendation. I have ended up going with the Cycle Analyst, it's on its way from the north now. I'm sure I'll find out how Dimitri's support is, I am planning on going with the MiniBMS.