PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Rumble

Macosie
27 January 2018, 0404
So, I stumbled on the Rumble. The bike looks awesome, a scooter sized futuristic cafe racer. It looks cool. It's gimmick sadly is the ability to Rumble like a real motorcycle. Personally, I think the look is the selling point. It's a rear hub motor, and the specs I found aren't really telling, but I think I want one.
What are your thoughts?
https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/futuristic-cafe-racer-actually-electric-scooter.html

Stevo
27 January 2018, 1038
I've always liked the leading link front design, like the Bimota. We have em on sidehacks too.

furyphoto
27 January 2018, 1533
In think the suggestion that this scooter has anything to do with a "cafe racer" is an insult to anyone who as ever wrenched on an old bike.

This is NOT an electric cafe racer. Its a funky mid-performance electric scooter. They really shouldn't try to pretend like it's anything else.
The engine noise is incredibly cheesy, and takes away from what otherwise looks like a pretty cool in town commuting scooter.

They are trying to over sell it, which I think is foolish, and makes them look like they dont know what they are talking about.
Also, I find it highly unlikely that they legally licensed music from Guns n' Roses for their promotional video, which could easily get them sued out of existence for copyright infringement, reinforcing my thoughts that their marketing strategy is misguided.
:p

Macosie
27 January 2018, 2052
I think 'insulting anyone who has wrenched on a motorbike' is a bit of an overreaction. I've seen some pretty horrible ICE cafe racers out there. I don't know if I would have called it a cafe racer, but it kinda follows the lines of cafe racers, so I don't think it an insult.
As for marketing approach, they are not aiming at the small ebike/emoto enthusiast group.
One thing, they respond to emails within the day.

Personally, I'd love a scaled up version (18"/17" wheels + more power).

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

furyphoto
28 January 2018, 0000
Perhaps I was being a bit dramatic. And, I have seen some hideous cafe home builds. Just because some dudes' flat black rattle can paint and clip-on hack job does not a cafe make, doesn't mean these guys have any more right to assign the genre to their commuter scooter. I doesn't follow the lines of a cafe at all.
Seriously, I can't imagine any motorcycle enthusiast on the planet looking at this scooter for the first time and saying, 'Hey, check out that cool electric Cafe Racer!"

I think they are trying to stretch their appeal by trying to call this a cafe racer. I dont think its a wise strategy to pretend to be something you are not.

They have a funky little commuter, it looks fun and practical for around town. It's obvious they didn't design it for the Fonz, they should play to their strengths and target the folks who will actually consider buying it.

Fortunately for their financial future, their demographic likely does not include Axe and Slash.

Duck-Stew
28 January 2018, 0150
Agree with the comments above, so hereís my adder: Really like the design, but just call it a scooter and whomever put the noise-maker on the thing didnít think it through...

Did they think the first automobile needed a fake horsesí head on the hood?

Macosie
28 January 2018, 0349
I now like the idea of the sound maker. If I get the Rumble, I'll rewire the speakers to an mp3 player. Then I'll film myself rolling out of the garage with GnR blasting.

Ted Dillard
28 January 2018, 0639
Did they think the first automobile needed a fake horses’ head on the hood?

LMAO

(...since you asked, that thing is the butt-ugliest excuse for anything on two wheels I think I've ever seen. Well maybe the second most butt ugliest. There's always the Johammer, right? :O)

furyphoto
28 January 2018, 0920
LOL, compared to the Johammer, the Rumble is fricking beautiful!

The price is right on the Rumble. If they can deliver it for $3500 its probably a worthwhile commuter for some people.

I now like the idea of the sound maker. If I get the Rumble, I'll rewire the speakers to an mp3 player. Then I'll film myself rolling out of the garage with GnR blasting.

Now that's a much better idea for the speaker! Although it seems like AC/DC would be more appropriate!

Warren
28 January 2018, 1156
231 pounds and a 1500 watt hubmotor!? I hope 100 of those pounds are lithium batteries. I'd rather have this for the same money.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=221689

http://www.sur-ron.com/?_l=en

https://lunacycle.com/luna-sur-ron-dirt-mx-ebike/

Stevo
28 January 2018, 1211
LMAO

(...since you asked, that thing is the butt-ugliest excuse for anything on two wheels I think I've ever seen. Well maybe the second most butt ugliest. There's always the Johammer, right? :O)

I'd say Butt-FUGLY!! LOL

The reason I posted pics of Bimota is cause that's what a Leading Link should look like! I had the priviledge of meeting John Britten in Monterey Laguna Seca before he passed away. That was some amazing engineering!

AS far as adding a sound system goes...here's my 2 centavos...
One night a few mos back riding my emc home from work, I snuck right up on a a big 4 point buck standing in the middle of the road. He didn't even hear me coming. There's two conclusions that might be made. It could be a good thing to be so stealthy, as not to spook a dear into jumping in your path, or it could cause them to jump if they look up and are startled to see you suddenly appear! I don't know,
But either way, I have these on all my bikes:

Its up for debate as far as if these really work!! Knock on wood:p I haven't hit a dear hard yet (just nudged one off the road once) but I'd rather have one than not!

Macosie
29 January 2018, 0818
I'd say Butt-FUGLY!! LOL

The reason I posted pics of Bimota is cause that's what a Leading Link should look like! I had the priviledge of meeting John Britten in Monterey Laguna Seca before he passed away. That was some amazing engineering!

AS far as adding a sound system goes...here's my 2 centavos...
One night a few mos back riding my emc home from work, I snuck right up on a a big 4 point buck standing in the middle of the road. He didn't even hear me coming. There's two conclusions that might be made. It could be a good thing to be so stealthy, as not to spook a dear into jumping in your path, or it could cause them to jump if they look up and are startled to see you suddenly appear! I don't know,
But either way, I have these on all my bikes:

Its up for debate as far as if these really work!! Knock on wood:p I haven't hit a dear hard yet (just nudged one off the road once) but I'd rather have one than not!Friends of our live on an acreage outside of town. Normally the dad put dear whistles on the cars. His daughter got a new car, no whistle, and was the first one to hit a deer. Could just be a coincidence.

The sound issue is a weird one. Some people are hung up on sound.

As for the Rumble... I like the look. I love motorbikes, have owned many. This one works towards my weird side.

To each their own. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/37e09b7970b6edf2c70985f0b1ae8f45.jpg

Stevo
29 January 2018, 0901
Your right. Many thought Eric Buell's creations were buttfugly too ...but I thought they looked cool.
I wouldn't mind a test spin to try that chassis out. I'm a fan of leading link. It has some major advantages over telescopic forks. I see the chassis as having some potential for a nicely designed fairing with built-in cargo areas. I could design a beauty! I would have to use carbon fiber though, and I've never used this so it would be a learning curve. I have used epoxy and fiber glass before. It must be similar.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oh, BTW, the deer whistle experiment is for this particular design, The Screaming Hawk, made in USA!! I know people that had the cheapy knock-off ones and they hit deer and swear the whistles don't work!! LOL

Macosie
04 February 2018, 1905
Your right. Many thought Eric Buell's creations were buttfugly too ...but I thought they looked cool.
I wouldn't mind a test spin to try that chassis out. I'm a fan of leading link. It has some major advantages over telescopic forks. I see the chassis as having some potential for a nicely designed fairing with built-in cargo areas. I could design a beauty! I would have to use carbon fiber though, and I've never used this so it would be a learning curve. I have used epoxy and fiber glass before. It must be similar.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oh, BTW, the deer whistle experiment is for this particular design, The Screaming Hawk, made in USA!! I know people that had the cheapy knock-off ones and they hit deer and swear the whistles don't work!! LOLWell, I took advantage of the$2990 indiegogo price. It's likely to be delivered in a month, but I'm trying to push it back until June, because I'll be here in India until then.
I'll post an update/review once I get it.

Macosie
06 February 2018, 0434
So, people think the Rumble is ugly, but the the Johammer is uglier...
I still want a Johammer. Actually, I don't like the body nor handlebars, but I'd love to modify one. I can totally see a steampunk or dieselpunk design for that chassis. The 120 kph top speed and 200 km range are what I'd love in a bike.
It's just hard to spend $30000 on a bike you plan to tear down. I wonder if any come on the second hand market?

Macosie
08 May 2018, 0927
The bikes are on their way. Still a few weeks, and I'm not home til July, so no worries.
The now have 3 colour combos:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180508/278acc715e62a68593e65d3d1093344a.jpg

T Rush
11 May 2018, 0518
I can totally see the cafe'racer styling in its design elements...its pretty neat looking, tho would be much better with larger 17" wheels

but can you register it to be street legal, does it come with a title?

Macosie
11 May 2018, 1901
I can totally see the cafe'racer styling in its design elements...its pretty neat looking, tho would be much better with larger 17" wheels

but can you register it to be street legal, does it come with a title?I agree with the 17inch wheels. It is supposed to be registerable. In some places you can do the ebike thing. In Canada, I will have to register and licence it as a small motorcycle.

Stevo
12 May 2018, 0732
Give us a first hand review after you've taken delivery and put some miles on it! I'm curious about the suspension and handling. The rear shock spring looks beefy to support the hub motor weight.

Macosie
12 May 2018, 1952
Give us a first hand review after you've taken delivery and put some miles on it! I'm curious about the suspension and handling. The rear shock spring looks beefy to support the hub motor weight.Definitely will do that. I'm intrigued to see how it rides, too.

EVcycle
13 May 2018, 0814
Nope, I do not see the resemblance. :)

Macosie
23 August 2018, 1504
It has finally arrived... Logistics from hell.
I unpacked the Rumble and put together the bits that needed putting together.
It had 55% charge, so I did a little test run on the street. It's currently limited, so I will change that later.
I'm away for a week. I'll sort out reg. and insurance when I get back.
I'll post a proper review after that. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180823/ccaee719bf16784ebfcc62aebdc30e99.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180823/38f283dd22f2ed0c54f414dbfa48bb6d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180823/b21129c547b0a477237adcbdc90e85fd.jpg

Richard230
23 August 2018, 1545
Cute. Looking forward to your review.

Michael Moore
24 August 2018, 0814
Contrary to a couple of comments above neither the Bimota Tesi nor the Britten had a leading link fork. The Tesi uses hub center steering and the Britten is a variant of the Hossack/Fior front suspension. The Rumble has a long leading link fork with the link pivot behind the tire, as in Ernie Earles' patent from the 1950s as used on BMWs and MV Agustas. The Rumble has even greater steered mass rotating around the steering axis than the Earles' fork which probably isn't doing them anything good but it may not be an issue considering the performance envelope of the vehicle. It is an interesting design of LLF, the first I've seen done this way.

cheers,
Michael

Macosie
22 September 2018, 2157
No review yet, because I haven't been able to register it. I didn't get documentation from the customs broker. Waiting on Rumble and the shipper to respond... Been a while.

Stevo
23 September 2018, 1059
That's disappointing. What an inconvenience. I hope Rumble helps you out and make it right.

Macosie
04 October 2018, 0638
Doesn't look like Rumble or the shipper are going to make it right... Never again for indiegogo nor rumble motors.
Europeans seem to have it ok, but not North Americans. Too bad, because the machine could have been a dream but instead is a nightmare.

Macosie
07 May 2020, 2119
So... a quick review.

The Rumble company is filled with liars. They still say that the bike is able to be imported to Canada... even though Transport Canada says it isn't. My bike somehow made it into Canada, but it cannot be registered or ridden on the street. It's not even supposed to ride on private land. The bike was broken down to parts, but selling them isn't very easy because the performance is crap. Not much demand for a 61.2v, 28.6Ah, 1750.31 Wh battery, 2000w QSMotor, and an unknown 60v controller.

I did try it out in the neighbourhood. The leading-link steering is horrible. It doesn't feel very stable in a turn. Sure it can be ridden, but it reacts much differently than I'd hoped, and it's not really suitable for a motorcycle. I understand it working with a sidecar. It looked cool.

That said, the steering isn't an issue because the performance is so poor that you won't get up to dangerous speeds. It's limited, and it's slow. Not sure if that was the battery or the controller or both. Performance seems to be on par with Motorino's 500w and 1500w bikes available here.

So what next. Parts of the frame are being used for a different project. The original welds were sloppy and weak. One bracket was missing in transit, the only proof of it's existence was a broken weld. The steel from the leading link will be recycled, maybe for scrap, or another project, not sure yet.

I might keep the speaker system from the "Rumble" just for sh*ts and giggles.

Overall... The Rumble was money thrown down the crapper.

Stevo
11 May 2020, 1126
Build your own electric side car with it. Man you could fit a lot of batteries on a e-SIDE CAR