Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Hello form San Diego! Newbie here biting off more than I can chew

Post Thanks / Like

Hello form San Diego! Newbie here biting off more than I can chew

Hi Folks,

New to the forums and planning a (to me) ambitious conversion. I have a 2005 Ninja ZX6R donor bike that I plan on putting a Motenergy ME1306 motor, a Kelly 8080I controller and a battery made from LiFePo4 32650 cells. I have many many questions that I think are somewhat specific to the components I'm planning on using, but I'm searching the forums to find answers. I'm probably going to miss some obvious stuff. But all in all, expect many questions from me.

2. Likes Electric-zero liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my initial research, I've already changed the plan. The 32650 battery pack with nickel strips doesn't make sense. Next plan is prismatic LiFePo4 prismatic cells from aliexpress in a 30s1p to make 96v nominal.

Post Thanks / Like
    HI and welcome to elmoto.

just a thought from my own experience:
    Try as hard as you can to source some Nissan, BMW, VW golf, chevy volt, Kokam brand, A123 cell.... packs. In other words grade A or even OEM cells.
    In my Sachs xtc125 build i had used ali cells. On the datasheet they look suitable but in reality these are second grade cells needing more ballancing than you want to. Also they will deliver only a fraction of whats atvertised...
    Using a bms will keep them in line but there will always be ballancing going on and that may take more time to tend to than you are willing to spend..
    Just food for thought

flo
    Last edited by flo; 1 Week Ago at 2300.

5. Likes Electric-zero liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! Based on your recommendations, I've found sources for either chevy volt 48v modules from a car with 25k miles or a source for gen I leaf cells. Would you recommend one over the other? Also, how would I go about a bms solution for either case?

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Thats a nice chassis that you are using...I know its your first build and all... but I suggest buying the sevcon that Ed is selling and go with the ME1616 or 1507 motor for this build... It will make you smile. The 1306 will leave you wanting more. IMHO
    Last edited by Stevo; 1 Week Ago at 1157.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

8. Likes flo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    HI and welcome to elmoto.

just a thought from my own experience:
    Try as hard as you can to source some Nissan, BMW, VW golf, chevy volt, Kokam brand, A123 cell.... packs. In other words grade A or even OEM cells.
    In my Sachs xtc125 build i had used ali cells. On the datasheet they look suitable but in reality these are second grade cells needing more ballancing than you want to. Also they will deliver only a fraction of whats atvertised...
    Using a bms will keep them in line but there will always be ballancing going on and that may take more time to tend to than you are willing to spend..
    Just food for thought

flo
    HI, Great advice, they have great quality control.

What about the motors from Tesla? or from Chevy volt, There is nice disassembly video from: WeberAuto ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqM3YXEf1js )
    combine in it with Sevcon, What do you think about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply guys! Sadly, I already ordered the motor before I joined here and did all my research. So sadly I'm stuck with it, at least for this build

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    It will be fine. You might have some heat issues is all. It will be a fantastic education for you for sure, and it wont be that difficult to upgrade later to newer technology. Post pics of your build. Im looking forward to seeing this badboy!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

12. Likes flo liked this post