Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  18
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The ElMoto Dream Bike

teddillard
    well alRIGHTY then! Now you just haz to make them de-moveable...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    well alRIGHTY then! Now you just haz to make them de-moveable...
    Well right now, if I have a nice lift and space I can swap out the whole 21s4p, 115lb battery in about 2minutes with practice. You could then add a little bit more metal and a 50lb, 21s2p unit could be pulled out in 1 more minute. Thou I don't have more batteries to swap in so it's a mute point for me at the moment haha.

But dream bike wise, it isn't as hard as I originally stated. But I did make some compromises on my pack.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    With the modular battery concept, you could have both, a 5kWh light weight quick bike, or a 15kWh high speed heavy bike, simply by adding / removing 200lbs of battery (and probably changing some gearing too). I wonder if there is a company producing 50lb , 2.5kWh modular batteries.

Modularity comes at a cost. Difficulty with packaging, price, weight etc.

Since this is a Dream Bike, is there no cost associated, or is there a target price? that will really limit your choices.

on page 9, Teddillard said "I think a 100mph/100mile range is a respectable and achievable goal though I know it doesn't match up with what your average 600 ICE bike can do. " It seems that both the 2013 Brammo Empulse and Zero S both come very close to fitting that goal. What is it about those bikes that doesn't fit your "Dream" .. I know this takes us back to the topic that spurred on this discussion "Build or Buy". I am very interested to see how this design based on the proposed 1000RR stacks up vs the bike you could create starting with a Brammo or Zero.

-ryan

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    With the modular battery concept, you could have both, a 5kWh light weight quick bike, or a 15kWh high speed heavy bike, simply by adding / removing 200lbs of battery
    Exactly. It all depends on how the modules are wired into the bike. You could configure the module stations so you can simply add range. Say you need a 50 mile highway range for your daily commute, then on the weekends you want to shed some weight and kick the twisties. Or go to the track. Like that.

What is it about those bikes that doesn't fit your "Dream" ... I am very interested to see how this design based on the proposed 1000RR stacks up vs the bike you could create starting with a Brammo or Zero.
    For me anyway, they're both butt-ugly. I also hate the feel of the stuff like the instruments and mirrors and things. (If god wanted us to have pointy mirrors, he wouldn't have made round glass. Wait. WUT?) Neither of them represent a state-of-the-art frame (thus handling) as the GSXR or CBR does. Sorry. The technology is build for the most general audience, for sale. We're trying (I think) to build a design that is less of a compromise. What we, as enthusiasts, not manufacturers, would build if we had the chance.

And neither of them have hot-swap battery modules.

I'm VERY interested to see what we come up with here. I frankly think we have the most amazing pool of design talent on the planet here, as far as electric motorcycles goes. (Back when Brian was on regularly, I, and a few others believe many of the Brammo systems came from this forum.) If Zero and Brammo and others are smart, they're reading this thread. But yeah... I think that's more for the "Build or Buy" thread.
    Last edited by teddillard; 09 February 2013 at 0437.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I wonder if there is a company producing 50lb , 2.5kWh modular batteries....

-ryan
    Haha I see what you did there

I also agree with your other points about the production bikes. I had never looked at it that way. I think this "dream bike" should still have a budget attached to it of sorts. It will give a little more accountability to some of the decisions/choices.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    On the budget front, batteries being the biggest single cost item of an elmoto, you could make range just a dollar figure question. If each pack is individually powerful enough for the performance goals, then additional packs simply become serial range extenders. 1 for your most basic entry level barhopper (lots of space left in the frame). 3 for regular commuter duty/canyon riding (full frame). 5 for day trips (saddlebags). 7 for all day touring (tankbag/tailbag areas).

I wouldn't want my riding performance hampered by lack of packs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually my motor and inverter were over half the cost of my build. If I wanted to I could make batteries the other half, but I'll go a bit cheaper for now.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Apparently you never pay attention to my build!
    So, um. Where the heck IS your build? I checked your blog, your facebook page... nuthin. Throw me bone, here.

edit: Oh yeah. Nutshock2. http://www.elmoto.net/showthread.php...ctric-R6-Build Sorry, got all distracted by the 3D modeling stuff.
    Last edited by teddillard; 10 February 2013 at 0340.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Best battery? - EIG 40AH cells or GEB 11Ah racing car battery...

Batteries - EIG, Kokam, or high quality direct from China
    So, Kyle. Why EIG? I'm looking into them more and they don't seem all that strong in terms of discharge rates. Is there something I'm missing? Is the manufacturer rating just conservative? Wait. Kokam too. What? I really hadn't looked into the specs for the high-priced spread in batteries until now. I'd just assumed lipo like Kokam was rated the same as the RC lipo.

For that matter, what's the discharge rate for the "NCM" chemistry Brammo uses?

I mean, yeah, I get the density and all, but 5/10C? Really?

oooooo mai haid hertz
    Last edited by teddillard; 11 February 2013 at 0349.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted, if you have the megabux, you can take a punt with some of these:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24309

It's boasting the same energy density as EIG, but with at least 30C capability (65C... riiiight. 130C come off it! )

It probably doesn't have the cycle life of EIG but the other numbers certainly look impressive. I've bought one to test for myself. Not that I can fit it into my battery pack, but you could plausibly build modular packs from these guys as long as they sold them as individual cells.

What you get for $1 per Wh is QC. Seems to me the single biggest determinant of a cell's worth.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast