Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Battery Replacement - Newbie in need of advice

Post Thanks / Like

Battery Replacement - Newbie in need of advice

I have recently acquired an Electric Moped/Scooter with a 3500W moto , see https://www.neoscooters.com/XM-3500L...tric_Moped.asp
    I bought it for 1 dollar from a friend because the batteries were dead so now I'm looking for a modern replacement for them. It did have 20 ThunderSky Winston WB-LYP40AHA batteries producing 2.4 kWh (60V 40AH) to power the 3500W motor.
    I have looked at a lot of 60V 40AH batteries but none of the specs give a kWh rating. Can anybody recommend a good battery supplier?
    And how many Max Continuous Discharging Amps should I look for?
    I'm a Brit living in France, there isn't a El Moto community here!

Post Thanks / Like
    HI,
    well the instructions say 70 amps (times 60v is about 3500 watts).
    So you should be looking for a 60Volts pack, c rating depending on capacity you choose.
    Example 40 Ah pack should deliver at least 2C (80Ams) cont. for being safe, if you fit a 70ah pack 1C would suffice. Err on the high side as lots of packs being overrated and if not then these cells will have less voltage sag at load still - more fun to ride.

Greets
    flo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Flo. Unfortunately the battery ads I'm looking at don't mention a C rating but I'll keep searching for 60V 40AH with high capacity. It would be so much easier if they just gave a kWh figure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t the mfg offer replacement packs?
    Otherwise: where do you look for them?
    On Alibaba most ads would give a c rating eventhough as mentioned these are overrated most of the time .. see my last post.

Anyway most bigger Lfp packs nowadays should give out 4...5 C.
    Looking for Lipo or Lfp?

Flo

Post Thanks / Like
    The bike did have 20 ThunderSky Winston WB-LYP40AHA batteries but they are expensive & heavy. I'm looking for them all over the place including Alibaba and some of them do give a C rate but so far I haven't found one which meets my specs. I'm looking for Lipos
    Giles

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    a Quick search found me the winstons for 60 pp (litrade.de) to 75 pp (ebay) so 1200 to 1500 for 20 of those.
    On aliexpress i found lipos 40 to 60Ah ranging from 25 to 40 pp so (as you will only need 16) 400 to 620 euro.
    Brandet GTK.
    if you feel like building your own pack..
    unfortunately i do not know your packs dimensions overall, which makes searching a bit pointless (2P20Ah or 2p 25ah or 1p 40/50/60ah)
    most of those were rated 3c cont and 5c peak.
    As i have used gtk cells myself on my sachs here some insight:
    There is no knowing of a supplier is any good, its a gamble.. mine were ok overall.
    Most of those cells being overrated, i went with half of all claimed C-rates and it turnd out ok, a third would be best i`d say.
    Cells obviously are from overproduction or rejects of qc. so get some more for selecting the best.
    You will need to regulary ballance them.
    Mine lasted so far 4000 km no problems but i do not trust them to last 1000 cycles as claimd, eventhoug i have been quite babying them.

An option would be to buy original 20Ah A123 cells sold on aliexpress, going 2p ..40 cells. Expensive yes, but the quality is hard to beat and those would be lightweight.

Guess you couldn`t fit Nissan leaf gen4 cells? 4 modules ..16cells 100ah aprox 30x20x28cm. availible on secondlifebatteries.com

greets
    flo

Post Thanks / Like
    gwl.eu sells Winston cells and ships in europe. Check with them

https://shop.gwl.eu/Winston-40Ah-200...3-2V-40Ah.html