Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt Test Drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harlan View Post
    I don't think an amazing EV has to do everything an ICE car can do. There are something that electric cars do better, and there are others that gas cars are better at. An EV is not for everybody but I would argue that most people would not have to change their driving habits to accommodate the "inconveniences" of an EV and in fact they would soon find it was the ICE that was the inconvenient one.
    Well to me it does. I get on the LATimes boards all the time and post against a mob of bone-heads who not only show nothing but contempt for all the EV's that can't match up with ICE's, but are even sharply opposed to any EV-like machine that requires any kind of government subsidy in order to compete in the market. There are a lot of these people, and the best way to argue with them is not to get into the energy/global warming debate, which causes them to roll their collective eyes and stop listening (or reading as the case may be). The best way to argue with this huge mass of people is to come out with an EV that is just as good in every respect as an ICE.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAK View Post
    Isn't this the exact same argument we're having for Volt vs. Leaf though?
    Wait, so now you want to argue about what we're arguing about?

(I have no idea what you just said...)

guilty, I disagree. My granpappy used to say, never try to beat up somebody in their own back yard. Show EVs for what they can do, not try to make them what they aren't.
    Last edited by teddillard; 07 April 2011 at 0855.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cripies, it's a small world.

Ed's comment about the low design got me to searching for info on the Opel Ampera because it uses the same driveline components as the Volt but the roof doesn't look as low - and overall I just think it looks a little cooler. In my search, I ran across this blog posting and saw a picture of my long lost German brother:
    http://opel-ampera.com/wp_en/2011/03...amin%E2%80%99/

Lutz and I were roommates our senior year of high school. He lived with my family for a year as a foreign exchange student.

He'd told me a while back that he was heading up engineering on the Ampera project, I didn't realize that he's overseeing engineering for all EVs at GM Europe! He's been really positive about my Ninja conversion on Facebook, but from my perspective, that seems like such a dinky project compared to what he's doing :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    i just got back from an alternative fuel exhibition - they only had the volt there, its was more about natural gas burning cars, very disappointing with the lack of EV's there.

but i did get to fart on the seat of the first natural gas burning chopper...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe there are six pages of gas about gas cars on this site. I am getting a Leaf, if the ground ever stops shaking in Japan, but I passed up my only chance to drive one, to look at an electric motorcycle. Get you priorities straight! If the Leaf had two seats, and no roof it would be cool, but its a damn jelly bean family sedan.

And the Volt....well I'd rather walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    And speaking of the Volt, Bloomberg News today reports that GM says that "drivers of its Volt electric cars have been traveling 1,000 miles before they need to visit a filling station, enough to make it practical for daily use." The article repeats itself by elaborating that Tony Posawatz, vehicle line director for the Chevrolet Volt, said Wednesday: "a sample of our early Volt customers suggests that they drive 1,000 miles before they fill up the gas tank". The article goes on to say that "the estimates suggest that automakers' dreams of selling viable electric cars are getting closer to reality."

Please don't shoot the messenger, all I am doing is repeating the Chevy propaganda that I read in my newspaper's business section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen_okc View Post
    but i did get to fart on the seat of the first natural gas burning chopper...

That comment made my day!!!!!
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630, 5511, 5512

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post

Please don't shoot the messenger, all I am doing is repeating the Chevy propaganda that I read in my newspaper's business section.

BANG!!!!!!!

( Ha Ha, I missed! But now my foot hurts)
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630, 5511, 5512

Post Thanks / Like
    i hate when that happens...

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Chevy Volts, I just heard on the local radio news this morning that someone who had a Volt plugged in and charging over night had their garage catch on fire, destroying the Volt and an EV Suzuki that were in the garage. Fortunately the home was protected by a firewall from the garage and the home was not damaged. Unfortunately, preliminary investigation (according to the new report) said that the fire started very near the Volt. If this news hits the paper in the next day or two, I will post more information.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast