Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Billmi's 1995 Ninja 250 conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Billmi's 1995 Ninja 250 conversion

I started out wanting to convert a dual sport, but ended up with the Ninja, since I was able to pick it up, without title for $250. $80 later, I got a fresh title issued by the sate, and was in business. It looked bad on the outside, but really was in pretty decent shape. I stripped it down, cleaned, painted and polished, and got it back together, with some added reinforcement in the frame. I've built the mount for my motor, and am holding my breath until my 40Ah LiFePO4 batteries arrive next month before finalizing the design for their bracket.ninja_Dec08_03.jpgninja_jan09_body_off.jpgIMG_2054-1.jpgIMG_2725.jpgIMG_2728.jpg
    Last edited by billmi; 14 April 2011 at 0353.

Post Thanks / Like
    And here's the current planned layout for the batteries: 33531_413491853002_754128002_4733892_6218727_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What a bargain on the rolling chassis! Is that a brush or brushless motor you're using? Nice 3D work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that's a brushed, permanent magnet DC motor. It's a Mars ME0709.

The postman brought a Magura throttle and trio of Cell-Log 8Ms yesterday :-)

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    those cell logs sure are a simple way of creating a simple logging monitor. Are you just going to use all of their alarm outputs to go to something to turn the contactor on/off if you hit OVC or LVC? It doesn't balance, but its sure a quick simple solution to keep cells from getting overdischarged.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the 8Ms - no logging feature, lower price. Hobby King's web site has a feature that if you look at a product a few times, it notices that from the tracking cookies, and can offer you a "good for right now only" discount price. I got the three for $13.50 or so each.

I had considered using them to alarm on low voltage during riding and charger shut-off during charging, but decided to go with MiniBMS, since that adds a shunting system and thermal monitoring.

I'm solely going to be using these for the convenience of checking individual cell voltages without having to hook up my multimeter to one cell at a time. I haven't quite decided if these will get mounted around the instrument cluster, or somewhere out of the way where I'm not tempted to look at them too much and take my eyes off the road too long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like soyachips said, 'Nice 3D work'
    What package you using, and did you model the motor complete or is that an image on the end face?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Magicsmoke,
    I did that in Lightwave which is primarily what I use at work (though I do some work in SolidWorks, too) and no, I didn't build a detailed model of the motor, just its basic shape surface mapped with images of the motor.

You can see it in more angles in this Java VR display I did of my first layout concept, when I was planning on using 50Ah SLAs:http://www.corin.com/bill/Ninja

Only2Jakes
    haha, I'm gonna say the same thing too. Awesome 3d Model.

I know you mentioned using 40ah batts. Which make are you thinking of using?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    i wish i had more mechanical background.... that is pretty cool, makes things a bit easier to design.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast