Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brammo Shifts Gears (article)

Post Thanks / Like

Brammo Shifts Gears (article)

I highly recommend reading:
    Brammo Shifts Gears by Mark Gardiner which was recently posted on the Motorcycle-USA.com site.
    An excerpt:
    So what gives? Do EVs need gearboxes or not? And if they do, is it logical that we go from a single speed to six? To get up to speed on the engineering case for a gearbox, I called two old friends: James Parker, an iconoclastic freelance motorcycle designer who I happen to know has put a lot of thought into gearboxes for EVs; and Lennon Rodgers, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology PhD. candidate who's leading the school's TT Zero project. Lennon then referred me to Charles Guan, another MIT brainiac for a crash course in electric motor theory. Finally, I called Brammo CEO (and fellow Kansas Citian) Craig Bramscher.
    It's not your usual tripe. Gardiner does his research.
    Follow me on twitter or read my blog.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I like the "I suppose if you were the kind of guy who sees the battery as half-drained" versus "If you're inclined to see the battery as half-charged" thing, that was a nice touch.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    im pretty sure all of us here see the battery as half full... but i get what they are saying...

Thank You Brammofan, very interesting article...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter
    That was a very enlightning article. My question is, they say that a properly geared 2 speed transmission was really hard to make. So what were the 2/3 speed gearboxes that folks on this forum came up with geared like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great article!

If I made a two speed I would have first gear in the range of, 1:1.5 to 1:1.9. Then second gear would be 1:1.
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 16 June 2011 at 1549.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    That was a very enlightning article. My question is, they say that a properly geared 2 speed transmission was really hard to make. So what were the 2/3 speed gearboxes that folks on this forum came up with geared like?
    who made a 2/3 speed?
    I know brutus made a 6-speed right?

The rest are more concept than anything, IIRC.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Great piece. I totally agree with the "need" vs "want". Anti-transmission people have been using the "don't need" argument to say there's no justification for "wanting" a transmission.

There doesn't have to be just one answer to the transmission question. I like that this article actually explains both sides, and does it very clearly.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

GUFF
    Really good article! Thanks so much for posting this Brammofan!

However, I after reading it, my mind is still on the no tranny side of things. I would much rather have a bigger motor instead of a smaller one + transmission. The more I dig deeper into electric motor theory and controller theory the more I realize that we haven't even touched the tip of the ice berg yet with those components. I think it is even more pronounced when you talk about batteries.

That said, during a few of my earlier rides I found myself wishing I had a clutch during certain traffic situations. I really have to focus sometimes to keep myself out of trouble and not do anything stupid because of the low end power available. I am getting better with that part of the mental game so no big deal, yet....

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a bigger motor and transmission? It's not an either-or is my point.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    What about a bigger motor and transmission? It's not an either-or is my point.
    That's my plan as of right now, using the AC-18 I snagged from Travis before you could get to it Though I'll probably start with a single speed to get things on the road faster then work out another drivetrain later.
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast