Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki RG250 Conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel

Suzuki RG250 Conversion.

I am converting a 1985 Suzuki RG250. This was an original 2 cylinder, 2 stroke road racer. I light aluminum box frame with single shock rear. In it's day it was cutting edge with twin front discs, anti dive forks and a full rear suspension.

I am planning to install a 72Volt 40Ah pack of headway batteries, with a large format outrunner motor. The plan is to place the motor on a mount on the rear swing arm and completely fill the frame with the battery pack.

Have a look at my conversion blog and my photos.

FRAME

Conversion - Strip Down 10 by Splinter, on Flickr

MOTOR

Electric Motor by Splinter, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    nice you got your motor (i have been following that thread over at e'sphere). I wanna put two of those in a bike someday

What kind of controller are you planning to use? I think you are going to have a nice lightweight speedster here. How much do you think she'll weigh are dressed up??
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

I have bought a controller based on the Infineon XJC8b116 Microchip with 24 Mosfets... built by Steveo on the Endless-Sphere forum.
    It should push 250amps continuous at 72 volts. It should push 30Kw peak.

Curb weight of the bike was 153Kg, current weight estimates are around +/-10Kg of the original bike.
    Original bike had 32Kw and 38Nm so this motor controller setup should be "close" to the original in performance (I hope).

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Talking motor testing

Ok so I got the motor and took it around to a local genius (toolman2 on Endless-Sphere) and we got quite a bit done today.

We worked some today and in next to no time we had matched the phase wires with the correct Hall wires. We located a misaligned Hall Sensor and repositioned it. We then confirmed that Steveo's 24 FET controller was sending the phase power at the right time.....

All this before hooking it up and crossing our fingers. Toolman2 has some oscilloscope traces that we captured but I forgot to get them before coming home.

Once hooked up with the throttle and the controller and toolman2's awesome A123 battery pack we had the motor spinning away. Not bad for less than a days work.

Now the setup is still not right... we must have a misaligned Hall sensor or something the no load amps are way to high.

Motor running

RPM meter on the shaft

CycleAnalyst readout.

Note the changes in tone as the motor passes through a certain rev range this is also the point the Amps jump. We think this is due to either the Halls still not being quite in the right position OR the back EMF becoming too large. The motor did get quite hot during testing either due to the skirt bearing or the Hall sensors being slightly out of place.

Next task to is to try to perfectly align all the Halls as one is still a little retarded according to our scope.

BTW this thing has some Torque... my god does it have some torque.

Only2Jakes
    haha, that's looking real good. Glad you got some good tests of this.

Bad luck with the sensors. But they are crucial, so you gotta get them right.

Should work out well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should you be running it with no load? I thought that was real bad for electric motors.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

@ZoomSmith.. should be fine... need to work out the no load amps at the different revs so I can find the point where the motors back EMF wrecks the efficiency of the motor. With that I should be able to work out the best gear ratio to start with.

Post Thanks / Like
    gawd! Now you got me reeeal scared, SplinterOz! I am a real beginner in electric conversion, and you said so many weird things going on in such a good looking motor, scope graphs and the works... oh my. Will I ever get through with my humble project? Oy vey...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

eronsilva, I am going out on a limb with this motor.. it is currently a total unknown. There is only 5 (count them 5) of these world wide until the production run starts shortly. Three people are currently working on special controllers for this motor and two of us are using existing controllers and finding their limits.

I am very very lucky as my local boffin is a real expert at setting up sensors and configuring sensored controllers for outrunner style motors. I could have played is safe and got a 6inch DC motor or one of the Mars Etek motors as they have well and truly been sorted.

Don't lose heart it can be really easy (well fairly easy) I just decided to make it hard for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Progress

Ok so I now have my wheels powder coated and ready for bearings and tires. The good people at Mobile Fabrications did a great job.

I have also just received my batteries from headway. This is 144 Cells arranged in two packs of 24S3P in each, and a 10Amp charger. It only took 20 calender days from order to delivery.

This means I now have all major components required for the bike.

I will take photos and update in more detail this weekend.
    Last edited by SplinterOz; 20 November 2010 at 1617.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast