Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  27
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki RG250 Conversion.

teddillard
    Yeah, sure they are when they're abused. If you follow the instructions and don't over-torque them they're fine. Just ask Ed.

I'm hitting them without any bus bar, just torquing on the ends, and they were never intended to take that kind of stress. They're designed to be held by the body in some way, then simply connected with bus bars, not supported by the end connections. Tony is connecting them end-to-end, and was overtightening them, from what he told me. Just don't do that, and you're fine.

I think Headways are among the best cells you could imagine, especially for your build.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    Yeah, sure they are when they're abused. If you follow the instructions and don't over-torque them they're fine. Just ask Ed.

I'm hitting them without any bus bar, just torquing on the ends, and they were never intended to take that kind of stress. They're designed to be held by the body in some way, then simply connected with bus bars, not supported by the end connections. Tony is connecting them end-to-end, and was overtightening them, from what he told me. Just don't do that, and you're fine.

I think Headways are among the best cells you could imagine, especially for your build.
    What he said. :-)
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Range testing.

Since I have had it registered I have been doing some runs on the bike to try and find the limits of the bike.

The good.
    • The bike handles great. I am taking a little while to get use to how small it is however.
    • I love the quiet while riding it, it is so cool to be doing 90km/h and only hearing the wind.
    • The bike is only using just under 70 wh per Km over my commute (speeds from 60 to 80 km/h)
    • The motor is staying around 70 to 80 degrees C for the trip WITHOUT the water cooling fitted.
    • Keeping up with traffic is not problem and pulling ahead from the lights is ok even with the 80% motor current settings
    • Speedo is accurate to within 1%

The bad
    • I am only getting 33km range from the pack.
    • It is only accepting about 2.2kw hours from the charger rather than about 3.9kw if the pack was being fully discharged then charged
    • So I have about 3/5th of my available pack
    • Looks like I will have to track down some more damaged cells.
    • My charger is not very efficient showing about 87% while charging the bike.

I can get to and from work with a range of approx 34km from the pack as is which should give me a 56 to 60km range with the pack fully working (remember that is at commute speeds of approx 80km/h)
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital

Post Thanks / Like
    The bike looks great Tony. I just hope you get the cells sorted.
    Get your spanners out and start building those electric motorcycles...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Thx ordering some spare cells soon.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Ok here is the last update for a while. (Until I do something radical like water cooling etc)

Quick update of the construction

Quick Ride
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital

7. Likes Hugues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bike looks really great Tony. Congrats on getting it "done" as we say. I'm jealous of all the room your frame has.

On my very brief test ride, I noticed a lot of chain noise from the front sprocket on acceleration (15-tooth from McMaster using 520 chain). Your chain in the video seems really quiet. What front sprocket are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    The bike looks really great Tony. Congrats on getting it "done" as we say. I'm jealous of all the room your frame has.

On my very brief test ride, I noticed a lot of chain noise from the front sprocket on acceleration (15-tooth from McMaster using 520 chain). Your chain in the video seems really quiet. What front sprocket are you using?
    Thanks but boy it does not feel like much room.. I am going to have to take a photo of the bike in "context" next to my GSX650F.

I have a 13 tooth front but I am using a 428 chain. More common on older 125 - 250 dirt bikes. More than enough for my light bike and easier (therfore quieter) around the sproket.

A 15 tooth should be ok with your 520, however you also might want to check your chain alignment as that may be causing more noise.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SplinterOz View Post
    ...A 15 tooth should be ok with your 520, however you also might want to check your chain alignment as that may be causing more noise...
    It has been awhile since I've looked at the chain alignment. Thanks- I need to double check that anyway.

One major noise contributor I found was the upper chain roller. My larger than OEM 15/52 sprockets combined with the rider weight on the swingarm caused the chain to contact the upper roller on accelerations.

I've removed the roller for now (and checked clearance) and it sounds nice...like yours.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Still works
    Gotta change keyfob this one is noisy.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast