Post Thanks / Like

Lithium Hawk trike

http://www.nappepin.com/LithiumHawk.htm

The dude assembled his pack by spot-welding together 1,972 K2 cells

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    thats f*ckin sweet!

2000 cells, wow. I know what its like to weld that many (although I haven't even welded 1/2 of that).... its such a PITA. Too bad he had to redo all the welding. I like the newer design better. Whats he doing for BMS?

He's gonna run into trouble with 38 in series though. Fresh off the charger his controller may not start. I know he set the charger to 130VDC (about 3.4V), but it can actually take quite a while for cells to settle after charging. If you go into regen too quickly, you'll fault. Also, at 3.4V its going to be a very slow charge. I'm very interested in his build.... and his CBA results. Jealous of his IR meter!

I love the setup though. Good cells, great looking pack. Well thought out, and an AC31 (right?). It reminds me of my buddy Eric's vehicle (http://www.xenopi.com/?page_id=258).
    Travis

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend forwarded information about the build. He didn't mention a BMS so you know as much as me about it I'm envious of his pack which allegedly cost a small fortune. Too bad his controller can only handle 550A. That pack should be able to put out over twice that much @ 10C.

The Sparc XEV looks like a neat build too. Being enclosed will help with aero and better suited as an all-weather vehicle. Heck they could even put in a small AC system (air cond) for summer riding.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    he wired in some balance wires, so he's doing something, but he hasn't mentioned anything more yet.....

The K2 cells are actually pretty cheap. I remember they were about $4-5 each for 3000Ah cells in bulk. A pretty spendy pack still. DLG makes them for K2, but I think DLG doesn't sell direct anymore, but I haven't checked. I'd check the IR of them though, they didn't seem very consistent a couple years ago (I'm sure they fixed their processing).

I didn't realize this, but he said something like 1976 cells..... that's over 17kwh.... WOW.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    K2 Power Cells have great specifications. You may be thinking of the energy cells. The power cells are considerably more expensive (not cheap) than $4 to $5. I could have used A123 cells but after testing several, the K2 cells were better for this application. The K2 cells were very consistant, having tested several in the lot I bought and prior. With specifications of 40 amps continuous or 150 amps per cells in bursts, I am barely working the cells in my pack. Each of the 38 modules is made up of 52 parallel cells but my peak current is just 500 amps with amazing acceleration. The maximum continuous current is about 150 amps or just 2.88 amps per cell. At 500 amps, each cell has to deliver only 9.6 amps for maybe 7 seconds at a time.

I am indeed developing a BMS as well as a pack heater controller, a preload shock controller (to raise and lower the back end) and some other things.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    he wired in some balance wires, so he's doing something, but he hasn't mentioned anything more yet.....

The K2 cells are actually pretty cheap. I remember they were about $4-5 each for 3000Ah cells in bulk. A pretty spendy pack still. DLG makes them for K2, but I think DLG doesn't sell direct anymore, but I haven't checked. I'd check the IR of them though, they didn't seem very consistent a couple years ago (I'm sure they fixed their processing).

I didn't realize this, but he said something like 1976 cells..... that's over 17kwh.... WOW.