Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I need some advices on a 125cc conversion

Post Thanks / Like

I need some advices on a 125cc conversion

Hello,

All began last year when I was looking for a light electric 2 wheels vehicle to get about in the Paris midtown trafic jam ; I decided to convert an old Motobecane Moped : http://www.evalbum.com/3997 which i'm fully satisfied for short rides.

But now, I'm thinking on a larger motorcycle to achieve longest trips outside the agglomeration...

My project is almost developed on paper :

- A 125cc based on a double cradle steel frame (<150kg) ; to start my project on a light frame and with a wide motor location for the battery pack.
    - An 602 Enertrac Hub to simplify the transmission, enough for a 125cc motorcycle and to keep free space for cells.
    - 120v 270A or 400A Kelly controller.
    - A 4,9kW (32s3p 40160s) or 6,5kW (32s4p) battery pack, functions of the frame.
    - An off-board charger

I've identified few motorcycle frames for the moment that i've ranked below :

1- Daelim Roadwin 125
    Pros : Large frame, 135kg, Roadster design - Cons : Not the best aerodynamic
    2- Honda Varadero 125
    Pros : Large frame, pleasant driving position - Cons : >=150kg, Aerodynamic
    3- Rieju RS2/RS3 125
    Pros : Aerodynamic, <128kg - Cons : Sportive driving position
    4- Daelim Roadsport 125
    Pros : Aerodynamic - Cons : Sportive driving position, =150kg

I'm really hesitant on the three first with a preference for the two first but i'd like to have your advice on this point.
    How many km range could I win between a Roadwin and a Varadero or between a Roadwin and a Rieju RS2 ?
    What are approximately, the air drag coef for each motorcycle ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by piwhy; 28 November 2011 at 0958.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome piwhy.
    For batteries I'd advise against the 40160 Headways, they've been discontinued (extreme sadness). I believe they've gone to the 40152 instead.
    You didn't mention what your speed and range requirements are, but as far as chassis are concerned, they all look feasible. Pick the kind of frame you'd like to be seen on.
    --z

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    that sucks about the 40160's. Not sure why they discontinued them.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Where do you obtained this informations about the 40160s ? I recently ordered cells from Zhejiang Xinghai Energy , without problem...
    About my requirements, I aim to obtain 50/55miles at 55mph with a 70mph maximum speed.
    In your opinion, between the varadero and the roadwin, which one has the best aerodynamism ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by piwhy; 29 November 2011 at 0245.

Post Thanks / Like
    My distributor (Manzanita Micro) informed me last week of the change in Headway's product line.
    If you use the 4160's, make sure you get some spares right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes indeedy, the Zhejiang Xinghai Energy salesman confirmed me the cessation of the 40160s cells production soon ; that sucks... Thank you ZoomSmith for the information.