Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nutshock V2.0 - Electric R6 Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez, sorry to hear about the fall. Happy you're alright!

Kyle, we need to hang out again sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.

Adam, there is a small chance that I may be up in the Boston area Sept 15-17th. I won't know until my classes start in two weeks thou
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some fine tuning on the bike tonight. Finally got around to adjusting the suspension. Most things were at standard setting, but the front compression damping was maxed out and that had to be why the front end was so stiff. I know have a lot better feel of the road and gives me more confidence on the machine. Everything else I put pretty much neutral. I think I'm going to soften the rear a little bit still thou because the bike is about 50 lbs under its weight weight.

Went for a ride as well. Got the bike up to 76mph according to the GPS. She had more, but I didn't wanna push to hard as I get used to the machine. And I didn't wanna kill my Agni. I took 26kW peak from the battery, so probably 22kW at the wheel. Not sure if that was at top speed or while accelerating, will look at the data. I'm sure I could hit close to 85mph. Pretty good for un-faired bike (windscreen and front fairing). That is the most I have ever hit the batteries with (4.5C, on the 6.1kWh pack) and I'm pretty impressed they only sagged to 3.517V/cell. Also consider I'm only running 4AWG wire battery side which probably doesn't really like 350A. I have 6" of 2AWG going to the each motor lead, so my systems not all crap

Bike handled well. However I'm still nervous on the bike since my crash, so I am slowly trusting the tires to allow me to lean. The bike is very stable and responds well. It likes to stay upright more than lean, but that was expected with the weight so low. I think all the bike weight is actually below the height of the tires. Will report more on this when I get some more confidence from seat time.

Still trying to figure out the front brakes thou. There is significant drag on the brakes. I get barely a 1/3 spin out of the front wheel when I try to spin it by hand. I took the calipers off and re-installed them and that helped a little bit. I may try realigning the wheel in the axle because this may be misaligning the rotors in the calipers. Additionally my front brake lever uses only about 1/3 of its travel and then the brakes are at full. This occurs even when I adjust to the lowest setting. I would really like more travel so that I have finer control of the brakes. Any suggestions? Maybe a new master cylinder or some adjustment of the lever cable. I'm going to go take a closer look at it now and maybe some more internet searching.
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 13 August 2012 at 1942.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I decided to pop the scale out and get some weight front and back. To my surprise this thing is a feather. 173.3 front, 153.2 back for a grand total of 326.5lbs!

I will have about 30 more pounds of batteries and framing. Will lose about 2-4lbs from the tank if I ever upgrade/cut it. Will save 3 more lbs when I swap out the 12V battery for DC/DC and fix the rats nest of 12V wiring. However I will have 5-10lbs of bodywork to add as well. Looks like I might be able to make my original weight target of 360lbs saving over 70lbs off of the Electric Katana! It feels great to actually have some good things coming out of this bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you have had a ride out, thanks for the info.

Have you advanced the timing on your agni at all? And did you find the neutral timing of the brush holder yourself or use the timing marks?
    Do you check for brush wear often?

Sorry for all the motor questions! I'm trying to get an idea of what it will be like to be using mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by picaroon View Post
    Glad you have had a ride out, thanks for the info.

Have you advanced the timing on your agni at all? And did you find the neutral timing of the brush holder yourself or use the timing marks?
    Do you check for brush wear often?

Sorry for all the motor questions! I'm trying to get an idea of what it will be like to be using mine
    I am at neutral right now (ie marks are lined up). I tried advance once, but didnt trust that I did it right so I moved it back. It's on my list to advance the motor about 1mm. I have not checked the brushes much, I have never gone over 20kW until this past week and I have only put about 1500 miles on the motor. I will check them after a month or so of riding. Motor case doesn't get too hot for me to touch so I'm confident that it is running pretty well.

How do you find neutral yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a copy from a post I read on diyelectriccar. From what I gather Jozzer is an agni master.

Originally Posted by*Jozzer*

That sounds right - assuming the timing mark is actually at neutral
    With a new holder fitted you should verify this, the marks may no longer be correct..
    To do this, connect to a low voltage power source, either one with a dial for "current" or in addition to a DC clamp meter. Spin the motor up and adjust the holder until the lowest possible current is being drawn. Mark this as neutral.
    Then, turn the holder AGAINST/INTO the direction of rotation until the marks are 1mm apart. I usually allow 1mm of advance up to around 300A peak, up to 2mm if the motor is to be abused at 400A+ for short periods..

Steve
    Here is the link to the thread, there is a few other agni related things on there

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...r-65753p9.html

I am going to advance my timing about 1mm also and I will limit the amps to below 300. Probably at 200amps limit for a while until I have put a few miles on it. This is still all theory for me, I've not got much further than collecting the parts for my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt of Arc ev racing told me when I visited him that it was easy to damage an agni if the timing isn't adjusted, but that is much more important for racing than road use. Thats why I am interested in hearing your experience with road use.

I'm sure you have the agni manual, but if anyone else wants a read it can be downloaded from here.

http://www.agnimotors.com/home/index...page&Itemid=47

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links. I should run advance because I am running over 300A peak on that thing. Especially with speed control of my Alltrax it is harder to limit the current with the throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Just purchased one of these tail lights. Mine just aren't bright enough and I am a bit more concerned about my safety after recent incidents. Spending, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast