Power in Flux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Zeros are arriving at dealerships

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 Zeros are arriving at dealerships

I received a call from my local Zero dealer last night who told me that the 2012 Zero production schedule was way ahead of their previous estimates and the first bikes off the assembly line were being sent to dealerships immediately. I was told that a new 2012 Zero DS would be arriving at Mission Motorcycles in Daly City, CA last night and would be on display this morning. Naturally, I plan to head up there (a 15-minute ride from my home) and check it out. I'll post photos later this afternoon.

I must say that this manufacturing performance by Zero is a huge step up from previous efforts. I ordered a new 9 kWh S model last month, with an expected delivery in March, and was told last night that it should be arriving within two to three weeks. I just about fell over when I heard that news, having waited 18 months for an Empulse to arrive, without hearing a peep directly from Brammo. Time to sell the GPR-S chassis to someone who can actually use it for something useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I checked out the new Zero DS today. It won't win any styling awards and could use some "bold new graphics". The seat is quite some distance from the ground. I could not touch the floor with both feet with my 30" inseam and it feels like a rubber-coated 2X4. The mirrors need to be taller and wider. The bike seems relatively light and well thought out and assembled, however both the brakes and the drive belt look kind of wimpy. Hopefully, the "S" model will be more to my liking.

Attached are some photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some more photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't find specifics on their website, but read elsewhere that they're using li-po in the 2012 bikes. Can you confirm that?

Seems like it must be, if their 9 kWh bike is only 340 lb.

$11.5k for a 6 kWh, 80 mph bike, with 75 mi range is a really good price. Just too bad they're so big (at least for us 30" inseam folks).
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    I didn't find specifics on their website, but read elsewhere that they're using li-po in the 2012 bikes. Can you confirm that?

Seems like it must be, if their 9 kWh bike is only 340 lb.

$11.5k for a 6 kWh, 80 mph bike, with 75 mi range is a really good price. Just too bad they're so big (at least for us 30" inseam folks).
    No I can't. The battery box is just a big sealed rectangular box and I could not see any way to look inside. However the box is relatively small and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they were using a type of li-po battery. The saleslady said that the "S" model would be noticeably lower and that the "DS" was tall because it is designed for off-road riding. We will see about that (the "S" being lower).

Post Thanks / Like
    The specs are on their website. The S seat is 2" lower than the DS seat. There is a low seat option as well.

Cells are lithium polymer, as used in the Volt, Leaf, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Warren. Those 2" will make a difference. My dealer offers to cut the seat down another inch for only $100. I tried out their modified seat on a 2011 S and it felt better than the stock seat, as it was lower and had a dish under your butt that helped to reduce the "wedgie" effect.

While I was there, I asked the salesperson if they had a brochure. She said that they were only given a PDF file on a thumb drive. I was expecting that and bought my own thumb drive, which she used to download the file on to. When I got home, I discovered that what I received was not a brochure but the 110-page owners manual for the DS and the S models. I am currently printing out the entire manual - one slow page at a time. (I hope my ink cartridge doesn't run out before page 110.)

Post Thanks / Like
    According to liveforphysics' posts in this really great thread, batteries are NMC (Lithium-Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt)

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is the Zero's have the same (well new and improved) EIG cells which I have in my bike. They are top notch and I call dibs on the first wreck Zero battery pack!! Haha, hopefully I can get a ride on one of these someday soon!
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...in CO there is a tax credit that gives back 85% of the difference between an electric and equivalent ICE bike. I'm guessing the Zero is pretty equivalent to a Ninja 250, which is about $4k. That means I could get a 9 kWh version for about $5.5k...and proceed to tear out the pack, BMS, and drive system for my next build
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast