Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  22
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 82 KZ550 - the KZE

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty is relative

To prove it here is an example of something very close (82 KZ440) to Noah's original instrument cluster with the Tach removed and a battery monitor installed for a test run.
    P1010249.jpg What a contrast...he's making another working-art bike!

(Once I like the way it runs I'll tear this down and try to follow in his footsteps!)
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks solid my friend. There is something classy about allen bolts. I almost bought a gauge off of ebay from a WWII plane to put on my bike. I like the good ole classic look.

Can't wait to see how the tank turns out. No doubt it will turn out just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    To prove it here is an example of something very close (82 KZ440) to Noah's original instrument cluster with the Tach removed and a battery monitor installed for a test run.
    P1010249.jpg What a contrast...he's making another working-art bike!

(Once I like the way it runs I'll tear this down and try to follow in his footsteps!)
    Steve
    Hey man, if it works it works. It's taken me 2 years to get the GSX-E just the way I want it (well, 99.9%). Since I have that bike, I'm not in a big rush to get the KZE running. If I was, it would have wires hanging out everywhere, and I'd still have a sh!t eating EV grin on.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGator View Post
    Looks solid my friend. There is something classy about allen bolts. I almost bought a gauge off of ebay from a WWII plane to put on my bike. I like the good ole classic look.

Can't wait to see how the tank turns out. No doubt it will turn out just fine.
    Thanks. Yeah, I use stainless allen bolts everywhere. They're just a beautiful fastener (yeah...I have a bit of a fastener fetish...I actually have a special account at Fastenal. For real.)
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    It's taken me 2 years to get the GSX-E just the way I want it (well, 99.9%).
    Yeah... I just posted something about that on my blog, actually. Not using my bike as a daily ride, or even a street-legal bike, it has the status of a "project" way more than ever being a finished piece. It's really never going to be finished, until maybe I just move on to another project. (When I built a boat, and finished, it was like, "Hey, now I have a boat. I didn't want a boat, I wanted a project... now I have to go, what, ROW the thing around the pond?"

Thanks. Yeah, I use stainless allen bolts everywhere. They're just a beautiful fastener (yeah...I have a bit of a fastener fetish...I actually have a special account at Fastenal. For real.)
    One word of caution on the stainless - make sure you (by "you" I mean readers of this post, I'm sure Noah has done his homework) match the material of the fastener to the application. Stainless, though pretty, isn't as strong as other grades of bolts. ...and Noah, there are worse fetishes one can have.
    Last edited by teddillard; 11 July 2012 at 0301.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    One word of caution on the stainless - make sure you (by "you" I mean readers of this post, I'm sure Noah has done his homework) match the material of the fastener to the application. Stainless, though pretty, isn't as strong as other grades of bolts. ...and Noah, there are worse fetishes one can have.

Good point.

Stainless is stronger than grade 2 (what you usually get at the hardware store), about the same or slightly less strength than grade 5 (most commonly used grade in automotive), quite a bit less than grade 8 (used in high stress, like automotive suspension).

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...de-Chart.aspx/
    Last edited by podolefsky; 11 July 2012 at 1028.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Noah! How did you reset your odometer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Noah! How did you reset your odometer?
    if you get inside the speedo, you can kind of push the digits over a little bit one at a time, which lets them slide past each other. might not work as well on a newer bike.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    if you get inside the speedo, you can kind of push the digits over a little bit one at a time, which lets them slide past each other. might not work as well on a newer bike.
    Sounds great. Did you cut the welds that hold the mounting studs in place so you could remove the inner back piece?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great. Did you cut the welds that hold the mounting studs in place so you could remove the inner back piece?

Steve
    On mine the back piece unbolted. Then there were two pieces held together by a compressed ring of metal, which I just pried off with a screwdriver.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow mcf12 On Twitter
    Noah, looking awesome.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast