Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  22
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 82 KZ550 - the KZE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Luckily, this was just for experimenting to figure out machining feeds and speeds. But if I needed a flat piece, it wouldn't be usable.
    Bummer about the shipping, I had good luck with a 24x48 .75" HDPE shipped from Drillspot.

What did you determine about the feeds and speeds?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't gone in with this sheet yet. From my Bed Bath cutting board experiment, I could cut the full thickness of the board (3/8") with a 3/8" dia 2 flute at 7-10 IPM no problem. The stuff from Drillspot seeps a little harder, so we'll see.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Some updates to the chassis. Installed Vulcan rear shocks and a ZG1200 fork and wheel. Made for about a 1" drop in back and 2" in front. Really leveled out the bike from the cruiser stance it had.

The ZG front wheel uses the same size tire as the back, which also balances the look (IMO).

Also painted the wheels, shocks, and fork triples and lowers. And rebuilt the fork...which was fun.

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up 2 sheets of 1/2" x 24 x 48 HDPE. Nice and straight.

Also found a sheet of 0.04" x 16 x 30 copper sheet in a remnant pile...$100 worth of copper sheet for free. Score!
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, also might have solved a little problem. The ZG forks are set up for 1" bars, but all my controls are 7/8". I could just get 7/8" bars and spacers, but then I realized mountain bike bars are 1" at the clamp and 7/8" at the grips. I tried a set I had laying around and bingo.

Now I just need to hunt around for some nice strong, wide, swept back mtb bars. Something nice and heavy, like a downhill bar maybe.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    A little experiment to see how the HDPE would work for packing the cells. Here's a quick 6-pack I made.

This stuff is really nice, and machines like butter. I can run full 1/2" thickness, 3/8" tool, 7-10 IPM at 1000RPM. No melt, smooth finish.

The one thing to note is that it helps to "chip away" when plunge cuttingm, bringing the tool above the surface a few times to let the chips free. Otherwise they build up on the tool. After the plunge, you can just fly through the material.

Here's the drawing for these pieces. With the countersink, you can go as close as 0.5mm between cells and still have a pretty rigid frame.

Link to higher res drawing.

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice we are working with some 18650s to make a prototype testing battery with a very similar design. Just be careful with hot spots if start packaging too tight, but that would only be at high C-rates. Who ever needs that much power
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, nice work. That's not much meat between cells, are you concerned about hole elongation over time with the full pack weight bouncing on the road?,

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Chris

1996 Nonda CBR600F3 conversion
    1980 Honda CB750/900/1100F Franken-ICE

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Is there a lip on those holes? I wouldn't use a lip. Makes it a PITA to replace cells later.

Looks great tho
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, there is a lip. 3D image of what the piece looks like below. True, it'll make it harder to replace cells, but makes the structure a LOT stronger and allows tighter packing. (N&V, good point, but I'm not too worried about hot spots...the cells aren't touching, and there will be lots of air flow to them.)

Without the lip there's only 0.5mm of material between the cells. With the lip, there's 7mm of material 6.5mm thick. So with this design I'm not worried about stretching.

I could go up to 2mm between cells, which is what the Headway legos are...but then the pack gets bigger, and it's still not as strong.

The lip also holds all the cells in place horizontally.

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast