Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1985 Vespa PX-150 Conversion

Junior Member Headway-Headquarters's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I drilled the hole for the switch...
    073 Hole Drilled for Light Switch.jpg

...and got it wired up.
    074 Light Switch in and Wired.jpg

Fits and works great, and looks and feels a lot more durable than the plastic glove box switch.
    075 Door Light Switch.jpg

The rubber foot pad of the seat turns the switch off.
    076 Seat Turns Off Lights.jpg

Will be working on battery boxes this week, and will be checking to see if the brake line that came with the rear brake kit is long enough or if I need to start looking for one that will work.

Contacted a guy in Japan who has converted a few Vespa's and asked for his template for the badge and he sent it over to me so that I can cut it out of some metal and have a chrome finish put on it....hopefully if funds permit!
    Vespa EV.jpg

Cheers all, until next time!

Jim
    Last edited by Headway-Headquarters; 21 February 2012 at 1220. Reason: Added missed pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,

Man Jim you just added coleslaw to my sandwich of pics!(mmm coleslaw). That is looking good, I am looking forward in getting the motor and controller by end of the month.
    I will keep an eye on your project.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim,

Great looking conversion and nice to see another Vespa being converted!!! I'm very interested to see how it all works out, especially the performance and range. Do you have any info on the hub motor you're using?

Also does the Vespa EV guy in Japan have a website? Would love to see what he's done too.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,
    What motor did you select? What controller?
    Can ya include product links?

Great work!
    My daughter thinks old school scooter like your your look cool. I may end up building a copy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andrew (nice conversion!) and thanks again Larry!

The guy in Japan's website is http://www.vespaev.com/ and he went with a hub motor also

I pretty much went with a one stop shopping for the components over at Kelly, like I said earlier, may not be the best, but for my purposes and budget for right now they are working out so far.

The motor is the Kelly BLDC hub motor, 72V 6kW 10" and the performance curve is:
    72V6kW10.jpg and if it came out too small the link for download from Kelly's site is here.

KEB 8kW
    HWZ1 DC/DC converter

Main fuse, 72V main contactor, and just went with the twist grip they offered but when the time comes, will switch out to Magura.

The other stuff was from Vespa parts vendors, SIP and ScooterWorks. SIP is over in Germany and ScooterWorks is in Chicago. Some things are pricey and others are decent. The other place I have gone for parts is Scoot.net

Let me know if you want a complete parts list and I can PM you anything else you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link. I've seen his conversions before but not the latest black one. Looks pretty cool.

The specs on the motor look good, plenty fast enough for a scooter! I think you've made some really smart decisions with your conversion:

- Using a hub motor leaves more space for everything else and allows for better weight distribution. With mine I had read a lot of good things about the Etek motor and became attached to the idea of using one. I also thought it was better to keep the original swing arm to try and keep the original look and to make registration easier but when you're riding it really doesn't make any difference. You can also fit more batteries in which gives a more usable range.
    - Upgrading to disc brakes
    - Using a scooter with larger wheels. I've often thought about upgrading!
    - Locking off the throttle bar to allow using standard twist grip. I went through at least three different designs in order to keep the original throttle bar and ended up modifying a Magura throttle and attaching it to the bar on the inside of the head piece. Seems to work fine but not sure if it was worth all the headache!
    - Getting rid of the foot brake.

Should be a really nice setup once it's all going.

Keep up the great work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice job so far. I'm thinking of doing a scooter myself. Just joined the forum and your is the 1st build I came across. Since you live up in my old neck of the woods, my brother lives north of you up by the golf course. I'll be watching this build and hope to check it out the next time I'm back in Seattle. I'm most interested in your battery system. Since I'm new to EV in general, I hope you might explain why you went with the headways and maybe point me to some place I can read up on them.

Thanks for the heads up to Soyachips build and nice to see he dropped by. I see Tony has dropped by, I didn't know he's building 1 too.

I've still got a lot to learn, but thanks to you guys for paving the way and giving me the inspiration to forge ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andrew! Appreciate the compliment!

Hi Lycon, I went with the Headway's for a few reasons (which may be slightly canted views!), the first is that I am a distributor for Headway, I like the form factor in that they are cylindrical, I like the fact that there are mechanical connections so that if a cell goes bad, it can be replaced easily. I like that (through all of my personal testing) they can provide the high discharge rates as they claim, albeit there is a voltage sag at 10C, but the cells still can deliver if need be. They are LiFePO4 chemistry, the cells can be oriented in any position, they can be screwed together end to end or side by side so there are many variations of configurations for different shapes and sizes as needed, they are like the mid-ranged cell in both capacity and typically in price per Ah when compared to prismatic or other cylindrical cells.

That is why I chose to use Headway's, but see what your needs are for your build, prismatics may be better suited for your build, or maybe using A123 20Ah pouch cells, that is the one of the many things that I love about doing your own conversion, you get to use what suits your needs best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim,

Any more pics or updates?
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,

I am back on the forum any updates?

Tony
    Los Angeles

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast