Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Moto Guzzi Eldorado

What a Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Basic Specs:

HPEVS AC-20, Curtis 1238-7601, GBS 100AH, 32 cells, 10KWH

DSC04201.jpg

I previously posted a photo album (see Motor Guzzi in the albums section) with more information. As this build moves forward I'll be adding updates in both places.

http://www.elmoto.net/album.php?albumid=463

I have the AC-20 and the Curtis 1238-7601 on hand and just picked up the adapter for the drive shaft to electric motor coupling from the machine shop.

DSC04221.jpgDSC04223.jpg

DSC04202.jpg

Next step is to locate the motor and finish the motor mounting plate and support brackets. After that it's time to fab up the battery mounting trays.
    Last edited by ehills; 05 August 2013 at 2214. Reason: Added link to photo album

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you are finished with your Eldorado, slide up the East Coast and help me with my G5.

Guzzi_ADC.jpg
    "obstacles suck but challenges are fun"

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    I just posted this thread into a Guzzi Owners forum ... i'm not sure if the will like or not the idea of converting Guzzi .. but at least the wll be able to give you a lot of hint for the rest of the bike

http://forum.animaguzzista.com/viewt...hp?f=1&t=50798

BTW that forum is "monitored" by the Moto Guzzi itself .. the future of an electric Guzzi is in your hand

Post Thanks / Like
    I always liked the idea of direct connection to a shaft drive.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too but direct drive didn't work on my Goldwing motor got hot & would only go 35mph didn't work for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    I always liked the idea of direct connection to a shaft drive.
    It's tempting to try this type of conversion. If you look at others who have tried it, it hasn't worked out very well. Bikes that have successfully used the AC20 motor have a reduction ratio of ~ 1:5or 6. I don't know what the Guzzie has, but most shaft drive have, at most, a final drive reduction ratio of ~1:3.5to 4. This would make for a very slow accelerating bike, using lotsa amps, a hot motor like Jack's bike , and not be able to use the motor in the upper RPM range where it makes the most power.

A large, slow turning motor might work in a direct connection ap. But, usually, you're still stuck with one ratio. With a chain or belt drive the ratio can be adjusted up and down with sprockets of of different tooth counts- balancing the acceleration rate and top speed to match the motor's output.
    Last edited by Fab man; 02 August 2013 at 2138.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    Guzzi made many different final shaft reduction , the off-road have a little more reduced gearing , for sure it will be not in the 1:5 range but maybe the 1:4 will be possible. Road bike as far I know have a 1:3 reduction on shaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not taken mine apart yet, but I believe the bevel gear on the drive shaft has 7 teeth and the gear for the rear wheel has 33 teeth for a 1:4.7.
    "obstacles suck but challenges are fun"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Electric Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Will View Post
    I have not taken mine apart yet, but I believe the bevel gear on the drive shaft has 7 teeth and the gear for the rear wheel has 33 teeth for a 1:4.7.
    That should go ok. We've run races at that ratio and it pulled pretty well with top speed something like 115mph (17" rear wheel). The motor got pretty hot which is why we designed a heat sink for it but you may not run into that problem on the road.

Sent from my AZ210A using Tapatalk 2

www.arc-ev-engineering.co.uk

ARCEVRacing on twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARC EV Racing View Post
    That should go ok. We've run races at that ratio and it pulled pretty well with top speed something like 115mph (17" rear wheel). The motor got pretty hot which is why we designed a heat sink for it but you may not run into that problem on the road.

Sent from my AZ210A using Tapatalk 2
    It looks like the the Guzzie final drive ratios vary from ~1:4.1 to 4.7 - greater reduction than most other shaft drives. So, you might be able to use a direct connection to the shaft drive. You might also look into lower profile tires and/or the possibility of lacing up a smaller diameter rim to get a little extra reduction. Whatever you decide to do, keep going on the project and report back to add to the body of knowledge.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast