Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to the E side of the game

Post Thanks / Like

New to the E side of the game

I've been around bikes for years or decades would be a better choice of words. I got the bug after getting launched over the bars of my dad's 650 Thunder. Was riding it 2 weeks later, I could barely reach the ground with my foot, but that didn't stop me. I've had a number of bikes over the years, some of my favorites include an RD400, which I also raced box-stock and was 1 of the 1st street legal bikes in the Pacific Northwest with a full race fairing. A 99 Sporter, that a modify to look more like a 59 Model K with the tractor seat. An old GR650 that reminded me of the old BSA's. That's a good short list to cover what I've ridden.

I'd say 1 of my main hobbies is fabricating. I've worked on cars, bikes, and even a member of the other EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association). I work with wood, metal, and plastics. I'm not to bad with a spray gun or an air brush. Love to do mods, can't leave well enough alone.

Was working on a solar PV project with a few friends and heard about an electric truck some guy had built and drives around. That was about 2 weeks ago and started to look around the net, I saw a few bike conversions and that lead me to here. I've been thinking towards starting with a 48 volt conversion and modifying it to a 72 volt later. Just learned about the headway cells and trying to figure out if there the way I should go. It's been about 2 years since I sold my last bike and I'm starting to feel the itch again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun Lyconthrous. I am in Tacoma and work for Manzanita Micro up in Kingston WA. If your a bit further south we have members in the Portland area.

I have a 72v pack of headways on my dirtbike. They are fairly forgiving cells to start with if your not into lead (like me).

Look forward to seeing what you choose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I'm working in SLC, UT. Be down in this general area for a few more years, before I'm back up in Seattle. There's an EV group down here, plus I'm close to the flats. Looking foward to next years event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Lyconthrous,
    I was helping a few years back on some EAA sail planes and on Rutans composite design.
    I am a Sportster and Buell nut myself.
    Vtwins forever until they taken over by the evs
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tony,

Long live the original Harley Hot Rod and it's evil little brother. LOL... I've had a couple of sloptails and built a 121 pro street, but I still love to ride the 1200's. Buel's little single is a sweet ride too.

I thought it was kinda funny you have a scooter for your avatar. I brought my Italijet Formula 50LC with me to work on. It blew the rings a few moths back and it's looking like it's time to either go with the 70cc shelve or go EV. I was given a copy of “Build your own E vehicle, 2nd edition” and after reading it last night. I was thinking of what type of platform to go for, the F50LC came to mind. Parts for the engine are becoming a major pain in the arse to find and limited at best.

It would be a good platform for the 48volt/72 volt upgrade. I've found a couple of motors and controllers that would fit the bill. The ELF front end can handle speed, I've GPS the scoot over 60mph and it was steady at those speeds, not the greatest ride for the freeway, but short romps are doable. It was 1 of the 1st 50cc scooters to break the 100kmh mark. There's room for enough batteries for a 30 to 50 mile range. I’d love 50, but 30 is more realistic. At 72 volt, 50 should be no problem. I'm playing with the ideal of keeping the CV, but there's better transmissions out there and direct drive might be better then using the CV. I just need to figure out the gearing. I'd like to check out what other people have done with scooters.