Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  66
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Cruiser version 1.0 build thread

teddillard
    Is it an O-ring chain? They're quieter, aren't they?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit Brutus's Youtube Channel
    These are the quietest chains I have found. They are strong as hell and even come in colors!

http://www.moto-heaven.com/store/EK-...4-6001-07.html

There is a guy named Phil down there who really knows his stuff on all his products and he's a hell of a nice guy too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    Is it an O-ring chain? They're quieter, aren't they?
    O-ring, yes.

But the chain does not seem to engage smoothly on the drive sprocket. It looks like the chain blocks on something first, then sets.
    On the rear sprocket it's much smoother.

Not sure what this is. But i'm gonna find out. Don't want to ride with this kind of noise.
    Last edited by Hugues; 18 November 2012 at 1235.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Are you 100% sure the chain is aligned on the sprocket? If the chain isn't hitting the centerline of the sprocket, it may be making more noise. Also, did you lube the chain first? Lube it up, along with the sprocket, and it'll soften the chain rollers hitting the sprocket a little bit.

But even then, it sounds about as noisy as mine was with my Series wound motor:

Also remember the gas motorcycles ones tend to have other noise (exhaust, intake) that drowns out the chain noise. It's not that noticeable when you're going down the street on an electric, IMHO.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    It does sound very similar yes.

There is white grease on chain and sprocket.

As for alignment , can't tell really. But tomorrow I will put an aluminum profile flat on the rear sprocket and extend it towards the front one to see how the alignment looks like.

Well, I'll connect the whole thing and give it a trial run outside.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Yeah, also, sprockets need to wear in a little bit. I think it'll quiet down some.

Looks f*cking great though.
    Travis

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    There is white grease on chain and sprocket.
    I'd suggest some proper chain lube in any case. Honestly, though, it sounds just like my bike too... hardly a racket, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    The chain drive sounds new, too tight, and dry. Check your tension, lube it, and with time it will quiet down somewhat. Unfortunately, as it wears, it will start sounding as bad or worse.

The 6-7K+ RPM of the AC20 motor puts your chain drive in the design category where an enclosed oil bath or even a constant oil stream is recommended to keep it lubed and lessen the noise. Motorcycle makers of-course regularly ignore this recommendation (although, usually not as much as you have)- accepting shorter chain life. The excess noise is covered up by the engine noise.

In the engineering catalogs I've studied, it looks like even a typical toothed belt(say 8mm pitch) would have noise issues at the speeds your running. A carefully designed jack-shaft system would be one way to reduce the excess speed(and noise) of the components, but that's asking a lot of the typical DIYer to design and build one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Are you 100% sure the chain is aligned on the sprocket? If the chain isn't hitting the centerline of the sprocket, it may be making more noise. ..
    checked alignment this morning before going to work:
    i placed a straight aluminum profile flat on the outside face of the rear sprocket, and when i extend it to the front sprocket, the profile arrives spot on its front face. Also when i rotate them. So that is looking good, I guess.

When i rotate the wheel just so slowly, like a rev or 2 per minute, there is a click click sound coming from the front sprocket. I can hear it when i spin it in reverse too, altough the sound pitch changes so slightly, and seems to come from the opposite side of the sprocket.

Will discuss chain lub with bike shop, before putting anything on.

I just found the chain tensioning screws near the rear axle, i'll play with them tonight to see if i can lessen the noise by releasing a bit of tension. I'll be careful to record the number of turns in order to set it the same on each side, and put it back to its original tension if this does not work out.
    Last edited by Hugues; 19 November 2012 at 0025.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

teddillard
    I'd respectfully suggest you bone up on chain maintenance: http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/chain.php

Honestly, if this is too loud for you, you need a belt.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast